Clockspring installed, but still no CRUISE Control - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Clockspring installed, but still no CRUISE Control

Worked all afternoon on my boy's 2007 Taurus. Got the horn fixed.....it was corrosion on the plug-in on the horn itself.
He had picked up a clockspring for 150 from O'reilly's (lifetime warranty),and he had the puller they loaned him, but it didn't work pulling the steering wheel. Wasted 2 hrs. on that silly thing.
Went to Auto-Zone and got a nice 3-jawed puller. It took no prisoners! Wheel popped right off. Finally got the clockspring installed and everything back together, but still no cruise control.
I had checked the ON/OFF switch on the wheel with an ohmmeter, and no continuity was seen between any of the pins.Is that a bad switch or does each of the 4 contacts stand by itself?
Thanks for any reply or ideas. don-ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by don-ohio View Post
Worked all afternoon on my boy's 2007 Taurus. Got the horn fixed.....it was corrosion on the plug-in on the horn itself.
He had picked up a clockspring for 150 from O'reilly's (lifetime warranty),and he had the puller they loaned him, but it didn't work pulling the steering wheel. Wasted 2 hrs. on that silly thing.
Went to Auto-Zone and got a nice 3-jawed puller. It took no prisoners! Wheel popped right off. Finally got the clockspring installed and everything back together, but still no cruise control.
I had checked the ON/OFF switch on the wheel with an ohmmeter, and no continuity was seen between any of the pins.Is that a bad switch or does each of the 4 contacts stand by itself?
Thanks for any reply or ideas. don-ohio
The switch is simple, comes apart for cleaning of contacts. Mine, the "off" did not work on a used car I bought. Cleaned and it is fine. Contacts can be cleaned with a pencil eraser, but more likely something spilled sometime, like a soda. Clean with alcohol. Then assemble and test.

Best of luck.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CruiseButtons.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	188370  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:00 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus

Have you run the CC self test?

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
The switch is simple, comes apart for cleaning of contacts. Mine, the "off" did not work on a used car I bought. Cleaned and it is fine. Contacts can be cleaned with a pencil eraser, but more likely something spilled sometime, like a soda. Clean with alcohol. Then assemble and test.

Best of luck.

-chart-
Thanks,ChartMaker! I did clean those contacts,both on the card and the brass ones in the rubber pad(but I didn't clean the right side switch with resume,set and coast).
I did not use an eraser,but just electrical contact cleaner and clean cloth.
Thanks for reminding me about the old school eraser technique. It's amazing how much you forget as time gets the best of ya.
Thanks,again. don-ohio (:^)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
Have you run the CC self test?
What is the test you speak of? Maybe I have brain cramp? LOL!
BTW,there were no CELs or airbag lights.
EDIT: Okay,I looked it up. Cruise Control self-test? How to perform this? Thanks,Jeff! don-ohio

Last edited by don-ohio; 02-28-2017 at 12:47 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by don-ohio View Post
Thanks,ChartMaker! I did clean those contacts,both on the card and the brass ones in the rubber pad(but I didn't clean the right side switch with resume,set and coast).
I did not use an eraser,but just electrical contact cleaner and clean cloth.
Thanks for reminding me about the old school eraser technique. It's amazing how much you forget as time gets the best of ya.
Thanks,again. don-ohio (:^)
I also use household ammonia for cleaning as in the pic. Top half dipped in room temp ammonia for 20 minutes. After the pic, I did the other half. ~1900 clock movement, stored in a dirty area and the oil had hardened in the bearings, all stuck. Cleaned with mineral sprits but shafts still stuck. After ammonia, dried with a hair dryer and oiled. 6+ years, running perfect. I have used this on a number of applications including electric boards. Never had any issue. I have even cleaned small engine spark plugs by putting them in a measuring cup with ammonia and boiling in the microwave.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock22a.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	188386  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! I'm actually a little scared of ammonia,LOL! The ammonia we have at the plant is like 10 times the strength of household ammonia and will eat you alive (especially your lungs).
I know thise clock movements are tricky..... I 've fumbled thru a few repairs myself, using solvent followed by fish oil on the smaller ones. I'm handy but not an expert by any means. Thanks for the tips,ChartMaker! don-ohio (:^)

Ford's the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Then there's the rest. don-ohio
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page