Daughters car is running me nuts - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Automender12345

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Daughters car is running me nuts

My daughters car. 2006 Taurus, Vulcan engine, 3.0, 70,000 miles.
The engine light came on and she continued to drive it. Had to tow it home. It had melted a hole in the intake plenum. Had a bank 2 cat code on it. I replaced the plenum. The pcv connector had melted as well as a vacuum tube above the plenum. I was ordering parts so I replaced the pcv valve and the mas also.Also replaced plugs and wires and put new valve cover gaskets on(found a small leak) while I had the plenum off. Probably didn`t need to but they were cheap enough.The lower oxygen sensor was damaged so I replaced it. Did a test on the cat with an IR thermometer and it was OK. Was idling fine but took a little extra to start. Checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner, found none so I smoke tested for leaks . Smoke from egr valve ports but nowhere else. Turned the key on and saw no smoke at all and couldn`t hardly blow in the vacuum tube at all. Also tested the brake booster for leaks. Found nothing.
Cleared the code and took it for a drive. Ran like crap , turned around and came home. Showing lean codes on both banks. Replaced fuel filter and tested fuel pressure on the engine side of the fuel filter. There is no port for testing on the fuel rail that I could find. Initial pressure after the fuel filter is about 50 pounds.After cranking it drops to about 35 pounds at idle. Put in some sea foam to try to clear injectors if they were clogged.
Car cranks good, idles good with no missing. So I cleared the codes and took it out again. Car has some lack of power and has a small almost undetectable miss or surge after about 40 mph. . And when I stepped down on the gas to engage passing gear it just revs up to 3500 rpm and won`t shift at all.Doesn`t matter if I`m going 30 or 50 at the time. If I don`t step down on the gas it shifts.Windows and other electronics work. I drove it about five miles or so and it hasn`t thrown any other codes at all. Lean codes and cat codes are gone for now. I haven`t changed the transmission fluid or filter yet but this seems like something else to me.I will clean the egr in case it stuck open and melted the plenum before I give it back to her. But this shifting thing and lack of power has me stumped. I hope someone knows what it is. I`m to old for all this stress. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Sounds like plugged cats may be your problem. That would have caused excessive EGR flow and melted your intake. My 2006 has slightly heat damaged intake at the EGR inlet area without cats that could be plugged.
sheila likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I thought so too

From what everyone said, that was my thought at first. Because of the melting. I read that the temp in front of the converter would be quite a bit different from the back. If it was cooler in the back it would be plugged up. My temp was running about 50 to 100 degrees higher behind the converter depending on where I tested. The oxygen sensor was bent when I took it out and looked about 100 years old so I replaced it. After replacing damaged stuff the code for the converter didn`t come back. I used a mallet on the converter to listen for rattling also. I didn`t hear any.It seems odd to me that the car won`t shift if given a lot of gas but shifts if I go easy on the gas.It`s undrivable as it is.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:31 PM

disconnect one of the hoses from the DPFE sensor and put a pressure gauge in there. If the pressure goes up then you have a plugged exhaust and/or catalytic converter (it should not go above 1psi). if you think your cat is fine, remove the post-cat oxygen sensor and put your pressure gauge there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Cats not stopped up

Took off the cats today. Believe me they are not stopped up. In fact there is nothing in there. They have been emptied out already .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Devoted Member

You should have been getting some cat efficiency codes on the PCM then.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

^^^^^ Yup, should have thrown a 420 and 430 pretty quick with empty cats. Any chance the cats disintegrated by themselves and the crap is all sitting at the front of the third cat and plugging the exhaust there?

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
^^^^^ Yup, should have thrown a 420 and 430 pretty quick with empty cats. Any chance the cats disintegrated by themselves and the crap is all sitting at the front of the third cat and plugging the exhaust there?
Or back in the muffler?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

^^^ Yup, there too.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Empty cats

Possibly. I will run a pressure test this weekend to see what happens. When my daughter had it towed back here it did have codes for bank 2 cat . After I replaced all the melted stuff and other parts I cleared the codes a drove it down the driveway to see what would happen( I have a long driveway) Even after that and going down the road the codes never came back. There was absolutely nothing inside the cat. They have fairly cheap converters on ebay . Maybe they won't last as long but I may just replace all of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page