brake bleeding question - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
brake bleeding question

I always had a helper (wife) press the pedal while I turned bleeder screw open and closed. Other members reported different setups. I just wonder if I can do the whole thing by myself without any gadget.

Open the bleeder screw slightly, about 1/4 turn.
Press pedal and slowly release the pedal.
Repeat 10+ times if rear bleeder is open or 10- times if front.
Keep bleeder open until gravity bleeding removes any air sucked in during brake release.

What do you think? This is how I just bled my pickup. Brake was soft but now firm.

06 Taurus SE, 97 F150, 08 Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: mult
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I have never tried a method like that. If I am working solo I have a simple homemade pressure bleeder that I use. If I did not have that I guess I might try gravity bleeding as I think any pedal pumping with the bleeder open is not going to work unless you do one of those submerge the hose deal.

2006 Vulcan 52k GF daily driver
2003 Vulcan 73k My daily driver
2000 Vulcan 112k saved from the scrap yard
1991 3.8 207k drove to junk yard, 1988 Vulcan lost in divorce
2009 Impala 3.0 15k my nice car
1996 F250 Powerstroke my toy-pristine lots of mods
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:52 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 2 reviews
I've done my own pedal pump bleeding with no issues(aside the wagon now, but that's a different story). What I do is put a hose on the bleeder screw, put a zip-tie on the end so it doesn't come off. The hose is long enough so it comes up then down to whatever receptacle I'm draining the fluid in so any air goes out and it traps fluid in the hose. This way when you let up off the pedal, it's not sucking air back into the caliper.

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 194K miles and kicking, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
You can get a 1 man brake bleeder kit at Harbor Freight Tools or most part stores for a few bucks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

I am excited to find this simple method. I don't need a special setup. Just a hose. It doesn't even need to be immersed in brake fluid.

During pedal push, fluid leaves the bleeder screw and fills the hose (hose rises initially). During pedal release, some of the fluid in the hose flows back in but most remains in the hose because fresh fluid can enter from the reservoir with far less restriction. After 3-4 pumping, reservoir goes low enough for refilling.

Air leaking through the threads of the screw was a concern. But I found no to little air in the hose. In 3 of 4 bleeder ports, I saw no air bubbles in the hose during gravity bleeding phase, meaning no air got sucked in through bleeder base. Only in 1 port, I saw air bubbles flowing out of the hose.

The key is
1. Bleeder is opened by 1/4 turn. If you open less, you will not be able to push the pedal.
2. Hose initially goes up so that fluid column can be formed.
3. The process is terminated with gravity bleeding.

I don't have to wait for my wife to come home to bleed brake.

06 Taurus SE, 97 F150, 08 Impala
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
I "flush" my herd (3 of them) every other fall. I use the vacuum jar as in the pic. Draw some vacuum with my mouth on the valve, and shut that down. I also, remove all that I can with the jar from the master cylinder and refill with new fluid before starting.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BkBleedS.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	187922  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page