LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump issue? (UPDATE: FIXED!)

So yesterday I replaced my driver side wheel hub. Took it for a spin and everything was great. Parked car for a few and I went to go home as I did this at my parents house and car would not start. Good crank but no start. I then listened for fuel pump and did not hear it prime. So my guess was bad pump. But then about 20 minutes later I went to push car to better part of driveway, out of the way of other cars, and decided to try again and what do you know, heard pump prime and then car started without issue.

Can the fuel pump be intermittent like that? I thought when a pump went bad it just stopped all together.
Could this be a fuse or relay issue or is my pump going bad. Really not wanting to have to drop my tank .... ugggg

Last edited by broke(n); 02-06-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:05 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke(n) View Post
So yesterday I replaced my driver side wheel hub. Took it for a spin and everything was great. Parked car for a few and I went to go home as I did this at my parents house and car would not start. Good crank but no start. I then listened for fuel pump and did not hear it prime. So my guess was bad pump. But then about 20 minutes later I went to push car to better part of driveway, out of the way of other cars, and decided to try again and what do you know, heard pump prime and then car started without issue.

Can the fuel pump be intermittent like that? I thought when a pump went bad it just stopped all together.
Could this be a fuse or relay issue or is my pump going bad. Really not wanting to have to drop my tank .... ugggg
Yes my last two ('03's) were intermittent. I could key on and not have it run, key off, key back on and then it would prime. New pumps in both, no more issues, and that was over a year ago on the last one.

-chart-
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Fuel pumps can often present as an intermittent issue but an iffy battery has been known to cause strange gremlins as well. How is the battery?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1999

My battery is new. Refurb but new. No corrosion. Fully charged.

I also forgot to mention something important.
A few times when starting the car, it idles very weak and will almost die or will die and pressing gas peddle does little to help. So I was thinking that could be a sign as well and maybe fuel filter?

Last edited by broke(n); 01-30-2017 at 04:20 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006

Both of my failed fuel pumps in my 2001s failed intermittently. No start, then wait and it would start. Multiple time they did that and almost seemed like a thermal overload switch was built into the motor but there isn't one.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:35 AM

Year: 2001

Garage
I had this issue for a whole year. IMO, this sounds like a fuel pump issue. I've replaced mine for less than I thought it would cost. Pump at AutoZone cost under $200 and labor was cheaper than $200 as well.

Summer time in warm to hot climates tend to make this issue with the fuel pump more prominent.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke(n) View Post
Really not wanting to have to drop my tank .... ugggg
Being from California, you still CAN drop the tank. Here in the rust belt one cuts it down. Anyhow, you don't HAVE to drop the tank to get the fuel pump out -

Fuel pump cutout

Works on 1996 - 2007 Taurus and Sable.
sheila likes this.

RICE - ITS WHATS FOR DINNER !

Eric Lehmann

Lots of V8 SHO's
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 AM

A pretty good video about replacing a fuel pump. I don't think I'd be cutting a hole in the floor to replace one. I think mine needs to be replaced, too.

Hope your car's not full of gas!
sheila likes this.

2001 SES Wagon. 210k and strong running.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 AM

Chapter: Midwest

it's not really that bad dropping the tank to replace the pump. it's not like some cars where you have to deal with the subframe or suspension components (but I like the ones where they have access under the back seat)
if you have the original fuel pump, just replace the motor. You'll save a lot and the fuel gauge is more accurate on the stock pump. They sell kits for $80 online (AirTex) which includes the motor and the filter.
you need to have a buddy help you out since the tank is very wide. I have to call my friend to help with my taurus and I did it myself alone on my ford mustang since the tank is smaller.
one trick to activate the pump is to pound the tank with a mallet, if it runs then it's a pump issue (most of the time if the pump failed it won't work)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnshibuya View Post
it's not really that bad dropping the tank to replace the pump. it's not like some cars where you have to deal with the subframe or suspension components (but I like the ones where they have access under the back seat)
if you have the original fuel pump, just replace the motor. You'll save a lot and the fuel gauge is more accurate on the stock pump. They sell kits for $80 online (AirTex) which includes the motor and the filter.
you need to have a buddy help you out since the tank is very wide. I have to call my friend to help with my taurus and I did it myself alone on my ford mustang since the tank is smaller.
one trick to activate the pump is to pound the tank with a mallet, if it runs then it's a pump issue (most of the time if the pump failed it won't work)
I would start with keying the cycle over and over until you hear it run. I got by with that couple times to get the car home. (both cars) And let it cool a few minutes from the first fail.

-chart-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page