Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

What should a "Mobile Mechanic" carry?

4K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  azure 
#1 ·
I have started doing some repairs for people in my community on the side to make a few bucks. I know people may chime in about licensing and permits and insurance and all that and those are all valid points. But I want to just focus on what people think a "mobile mechanic" should be carrying with them besides the obvious tools that are frequently (or semi-frequently used). I'm not talking about a fully stocked workvan, as I am working out of a station wagon. Because anyway it's not like I'm really taking "any job" at "any time." I would be taking jobs I felt comfortable doing, at times that I was able to do them. So I don't have to be insanely well stocked or anything. But I started to realize that I do need to carry some things that I wouldn't normally keep in my car (or even own) if it was just to work on my own car. Here are some things I have come up with so far:

One person brake bleeder
Battery tester
Battery jumpstarter/air compressor/battery charger

I know there are more, so I want to hear peoples suggestions. Thanks!!

#2 ·
I have started doing some repairs for people in my community on the side to make a few bucks. I know people may chime in about licensing and permits and insurance and all that and those are all valid points. But I want to just focus on what people think a "mobile mechanic" should be carrying with them besides the obvious tools that are frequently (or semi-frequently used). I'm not talking about a fully stocked workvan, as I am working out of a station wagon. Because anyway it's not like I'm really taking "any job" at "any time." I would be taking jobs I felt comfortable doing, at times that I was able to do them. So I don't have to be insanely well stocked or anything. But I started to realize that I do need to carry some things that I wouldn't normally keep in my car (or even own) if it was just to work on my own car. Here are some things I have come up with so far:

One person brake bleeder
Battery tester
Battery jumpstarter/air compressor/battery charger

I know there are more, so I want to hear peoples suggestions. Thanks!!
Pic of my basic, this goes where ever but I will add other things if I am doing some specific work. I am retired 19 years a do volunteer maint work for a local church. Things that I need but did not have caused me to add to my list, such as index cards and marking pen as well as tape. I do mechanical, electric/lighting, and plumbing. If I am thinking of elect, then add wire stripper, wire nuts, and elect tape. I have a separate box for plumbing. If going to the JY, I add socket sets, Torx sets and such.
I have my name to top of this box in paint pen. I loose things. :lol2:

-chart-

Attachments

#4 ·
Beyond the "typical tools", I would add:

OBDII scanner
Torx bits
Plastic pry tools (for interior panels)
Magnetic pickup tool
Battery/rechargeable LED lights
Metric and SAE tap/die set
Punch set
Metal chisels
Various lengths of pipe for extra leverage with breaker bar

I'd did similar work when I was in high school and college. I quickly learned that students had a lot of beat up, rusty cars. I'd spend way too much time fighting stuck bolts and nuts for what I was getting paid. After a while, I had enough. Also, no brake work!

#8 ·
so far I've gotten all my stuck bolts free by using the back of a hatchet wrapped with a rag and striking the wrench/ratchet/breaker bar.

I would add lots of rags, distilled water for low batteries and baking soda for cleaning them, assortment of fuses, tire plug kit and small air compressor

#10 ·
Look around for a mechanics socket tool set in a robust plastic box. Craftsman, Hus-key etc. You can pick up a decent one for around $100. Now I know you are saying I already have these tools. But the benefit is the organization of the box. You can find a socket in a second and you can tell if everything is placed back in a quick glance. You may have to add a set of extensions, breaker bar and specialty brake tools.
I am not a tool snob so I don't think you need to have Snap on or Proto tools. If you have the money have at it. I am just saying you can get the job done with less cost.
You can sell your duplicates to cover some of the cost.

Add Metric box and open end wrenches and a good screwdriver kit in a box as well.
Two good floor jacks with stands or similar as well.
I can tell you that organization is key. You may want to invest in a couple of tool boxes.

#14 ·
If you thing about it the risk is very low if you limit yourself to just pads and rotor changes.

You can turn away master cylinder work and anything requiring opening up the system.

I don't blame you if you go that way but this the the kind of work most mechanics hope for. Fast, often simple and good margins.

Although you can get call backs if the brakes squeak or make any kind of noise. It concerns people even if it is infrequent.

#15 ·
I COMPLETELY disagree....... consider this possible situation..... You do a "pad slap" and get paid to do it. You obviously push in the piston(s) in the caliper. Pushing one piston in causes a fluid leak you dont notice. Driver doesnt notice fluid leaking out, ignores the red BRAKE, light, etc. His brakes fail and he Tbones a car full of kids because he cant stop. Some have serious injuries or are killed. Who are the family, insurance companies, etc going to go after? The person who did the brakes the week before. You could be on the hook for hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions of dollars.

WHENEVER YOU PERFORM ANY KIND OF SERVICE AND GET PAID FOR IT YOU MUST MUST MUST HAVE LIABILITY INSURANCE AND LOTS OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 ·
I COMPLETELY disagree....... consider this possible situation..... WHENEVER YOU PERFORM ANY KIND OF SERVICE AND GET PAID FOR IT YOU MUST MUST MUST HAVE LIABILITY INSURANCE AND LOTS OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell, it's good advice for just driving let alone doing work on people's vehicles.

And remember: liability insurance also pays for your legal defense. Could you stomach even a single incident, plus lawyer fees?

#17 ·
If a customer is smart he won't let you work on his property unless you are insured for Workman's Compensation. If you get hurt on the customers property they are possibly liable for your injuries as the homeowner and you could sue them. Any time a contractor does work on your property they need the proper insurances to protect yourself as a consumer.

#19 ·
You guys are all making good points. I hope none of this ever happens, but I do have $1,000,000 liability coverage under my USAA renters/personal property policy that is for damage caused by my actions. Not sure if it can be used for medical expenses though. I'm pretty sure it would include damage caused by me doing car repairs, because in NY there is no legal need to have any kind of license or certification, meaning anyone can do it. You just have to be a registered shop for business reasons, etc.

#20 ·
Ask them if your actions would be covered in a for profit venture. I almost guarantee you'd have no coverage under that policy when you're involved in a for-profit activity.

#22 ·
I suggest you call your insurance company, tell them about your plan, and see if you would be covered. If you would be covered, get it in writing. Since you would be running a business, I doubt they would cover a business venture on a personal liability policy.

Automender brings up another good point about workmans comp.

I also wonder if anyone would actually hire you to fix their car without at least some basic ASE certifications.

#23 ·
If people know you in the neighborhood or you give an honest impression, people are interested because it's convenient. I'm honest with them and I tell them I'm not a professional but that I have a lot of experience. I explain that while I'm definitely not a certified mechanic, I know what I know and what I don't know and hopefully I'm smart enough to know what is within my ability and what isn't. But you guys are right I will definitely look into the insurance issue further "just in case." Fortunately I have USAA, which is known to be amazing in general. Our apartment which was a basement got totally flooded in Hurricane Sandy, which most renters insurance policies wouldn't even cover at all, and USAA paid us the maximum amount of our policy with just some pictures and documentation. They are awesome. But I hope to never have to deal with them obviously....

#24 ·
I am not telling you what you should do. Only you can decide. I will bet that once you get a quote on insurance you will either decide to not do it at all or you will greatly raise your prices.

One thing I know is that lawyers love to sue people who are well insured. Just ask a lawyer.

#25 ·
I know everyone here is trying to help and give practical advice, and I really do appreciate it! Honestly. But could I also get some encouragement please in addition to the discouragement? (Not instead of it, but in addition).

You'll probably respond that you are just trying to help and give due warning, which is logical and appreciated. Yet at the same time, since this is something that I'm trying to make work for myself right now, suggestions and encouragement are also appreciated in addition.

Thanks again all

#26 ·
Do simple repairs. Tune ups, brakes, etc. . Stay away from complex things that generate odd ball codes.
You do not want to get into complex repairs that are best done in a shop.
Yes you want to generate some income BUT as a in home appliance tech. I can tell you sometimes it's best to walk away than get so involved that it is not cost or time effective. We want to help folks and make a buck but learn how to say no as taking on complex, big jobs will quickly wear you down and turn into an expense.

#27 ·
Thank you that is great advice. Makes a lot of sense. I was even thinking that in a way a "mobile mechanic" is less pressure for a more amateur mechanic like myself (which I am open with my customers about) because if I don't take a job I don't have to worry that it reflects on my lack of expertise or that someone may not call me again because I declined a job one time, because people understand that certain jobs are better done in a shop. That takes away some of the pressure that might otherwise push me to consider taking a job that I would really be better off not taking...

#28 ·
You seem motivated and determined. It sounds like you have some customers and success under your belt. I would leverage those relationships and try to get word of mouth referrals. Friends of happy customers will be much better customers than total strangers who just want their problem gone with out any inconvenience and for a little as possible.

#31 ·
Heh I'm sure that's true...do you mind asking him what he recommends to bring that people might not think of?

Also I'm curious, if you know, how he charged for diagnosis/second visit etc. Because unlike a regular shop, first you have to go look at the issue, figure out what it needs (if it's not obvious) and then go back and pick up the parts and come back again. And obviously if they decide after your diagnosis that they don't want to do the repair that's another charging scenario. It's a little more complicated to charge than in a shop...

#33 ·
You could do like the brick and mortar shops do... heavily advertise and promote mobile oil changes and then as you find other things that need attention and you're willing to do, offer those services as well. A lot of people are willing to pay for a mobile oil change so they don't have to take it to a shop and wait for 30 min. to an hour which wastes their time, and meanwhile their car is totally available for having the oil changed during the day while it's sitting out in their office parking lot. If nothing else about car maintenance, most people do understand the need to have their oil changed. Our area also has mobile gas delivery services for people who are too busy to stop at at a station to fill up.

#34 ·
honestly, there's not much profit on oil changes unless you have cheap oil and filter in bulk. That profit could be just eaten up by gas and transport depreciation.

#36 ·
I would stay away from oil changes as you have disposal issues that make it extra unprofitable.

#37 ·
Yes true. I'm not interested in doing oil changes. But I did have one thought, which is that if a "new customer" reaches out to me for an oil change, I'm thinking of saying something along the lines of that I don't normally do oil changes because the profit margin is small, but that I'm offering an oil change to new customers as a promotion, although still a bit more than in a shop, $40 for most vehicles. That way I can make a few bucks, and I'll only do a few oil changes here and there as a way to attract "new customers." But doing more than a few is definitely not worthwhile like you guys are saying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.