Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Powered-seat motor module removal - waste of time?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Lgbpop 
#1 ·
I have a power-seat mount for a Gen1 Bull, wherein the motors within the module work for 3 or 4 seconds and then stop dead. I've used my 90amp powerpack as well as a direct jump from the car's battery to test it. It makes no difference - momentary operation, then nothing.

I picked up a unit from a 1992 T-Bird Wednesday, and the mount is quite narrower than that for the split-bench Taurus seat but the controls and the three-motor module are identical. My hope is to remove the working motor module from the T-Bird rack and put it into the Taurus rack. The wiring mates up fine. I just don't see how to disassemble the respective racks to remove and swap the motor modules.

Anyone ever done this? Tips/advice would be appreciated. I want to get this conversion done, and there are no donor cars in south Florida with a suitable mount so I pretty much need to build my own...but I see no way to disassemble these units. So near, yet so far...:(

#2 · (Edited)
Well, I know it's a rather obscure subject and request. Quick update; I decided that having two power seat racks that were unusable - one that fit and didn't work, and one that I got from a 1992 Tbird with good motors that didn't fit - didn't make sense, and decided to learn on the run, as it were. I removed the five long screws holding the unit together, and pulled the switch module and the three armature units off the gear-drive shafts. I had no clue what I was doing at first, but fell back on my high-school electrical-motor training and cobbled together the best springs, brushes and used the Tbird armatures to make a good working rack. My wife helped me get the passenger front seat out today, and I then fished around under the carpet looking for a power connector. (THAT cost me a pint of blood when I stabbed my thumb on a GM-inspired sharp edge somewhere beneath the carpet. :angry: )

Hallelujah, I found one and the new rack fits like a glove (barely) and the connector is the right one. There is joy in Mudville tonight. Tomorrow, I remove the upholstery for laundering. Then, comes reinforcing the seat cushion base and rebuilding the seat for installation next weekend. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Does anyone know of a source for hog rings, the size that auto makers use for securing their seat fabric to the seat cushion/frame assembly?

I learned from refurbishing my driver's seat, a few years ago, that the probability of being able to re-use the original rings is 50/50 at best. I'm looking for two dozen, minimum, as I may end up doing the rear seat cushions over IF they look tired/dirty once the front seats both have been refurbed. Probably won't, as they rarely are used and look quite clean...but once an OCD, always an OCD.:rolleyes2: I have no clue where to start looking locally (auto body shops just replace seats, and we have no shops specializing in upholstery restoration), and googling them doesn't give me any usable results. Maybe I'm doing something wrong there.

Any sources or good recommendations will be gratefully accepted, TIA.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Can't get the headrest off of the backrest. I forgot, anyone know where the release clips are for the headrest posts? How to remove them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.