Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

What tools do I need to rebuild a transmission?

990 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  azure 
#1 ·
I pulled an AX4N from my parts car, and planning on trying to slowly rebuild it, mostly for the challenge, and if it seems to work out well I may install it in the future. I have never done anything like this before, but have watched videos, read about it and know a little bit about it. I have the ATSG overhaul manual for the AX4N. I have plenty of standard tools, just wondering about specialty tools for overhauling an automatic transmission, and specifically the AX4N.

I have seen a few other threads where people asked this question, but I didn't really find a comprehensive answer. I know that there a lot of specialty tools that are "officially recommended" for any given transmission rebuild. But it seems that there are some tools you "need" (category 1), some tools that you can get by without but it is very challenging (category 2) and some tools that you can pretty easily get by without and make do with something else (category 3).

I will obviously buy any "category 1" tools, and will probably also buy "category 2" tools if they aren't crazy expensive. And I'll skip buying "category 3."

I know that I will need to buy a clutch spring compressor, but not sure if there are different types, and if so which kind would be most beneficial? Beyond that, not sure what other tools I would need. Please share advice and experience, and if you suggest a tool, please let me know what "category" it should be placed in. Thanks!!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.