Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2003 SES P0191 Code

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 SES 90,000 miles that is throwing a P0191. The code reader gave this information from a cold start:

Calculated Load Value 29.8
Engine Coolant Temp 48
Short Term Fuel Trim 1% 2.3
Long Term Fuel Trim 1% -4.7
Short Term Fuel Trim 2% 2.3
Long Term Fuel Trim 2% -3.1
Fuel Rail Pressure (KPa) 36
RPM (/min) 1202
Vehicle Speed Sensor (km/h) 0

I wanted to ask your opinion as to what you think might be causing the code before I start replacing possible parts causing it.
I'd appreciate any assistance or suggestions you can provide.
Thank you!

#2 ·
I have a 2003 SES 90,000 miles that is throwing a P0191. The code reader gave this information from a cold start:

Calculated Load Value 29.8
Engine Coolant Temp 48
Short Term Fuel Trim 1% 2.3
Long Term Fuel Trim 1% -4.7
Short Term Fuel Trim 2% 2.3
Long Term Fuel Trim 2% -3.1
Fuel Rail Pressure (KPa) 36
RPM (/min) 1202
Vehicle Speed Sensor (km/h) 0

I wanted to ask your opinion as to what you think might be causing the code before I start replacing possible parts causing it.
I'd appreciate any assistance or suggestions you can provide.
Thank you!
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0191 code

A common mistake when diagnosing the P0191 trouble code is overlooking the other components that may need to be repaired and replacing the fuel rail pressure sensor first.
Wiring that is insufficiently connected or chafed, a faulty fuel pressure regulator or faulty fuel pump are things that are often missed when doing a diagnosis and completing a repair. How serious is the P0191 code?

The P0191 trouble code is considered serious as it is known to cause drivability issues. Operating a vehicle while this code is present could cause the car to stall out or hesitate while driving. There may also be an increase in fuel consumption, which can be costly. It is important to take this code seriously and have it diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible. What repairs can fix the P0191 code?

• Replacing the fuel pump
  • Replacing the fuel pressure regulator
  • Repairing any broken, frayed, or shorted wires that lead to the fuel pressure sensor
  • Repairing corroded connector to the fuel pressure sensor
  • Replacing fuel pressure sensor
  • Repairing any vacuum leaks in the engine
https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...or-circuit-range-performance-by-jamahl-walker

Guess they did not mention the fuel filter.

-chart-

#3 ·
Thanks Chart.
I read that article online also. It's very general, offering multiple possibilities of the cause and multiple solutions.

I had hoped that posting specific information from the code reader would help narrow down the probable causes with my vehicle.

A friend suggested to install a new fuel pressure regulator but I can't find one online specific for a 2003 Ford Taurus only general or universal application regulators. My vehicle is suffering no symptoms from this code but needs to be fixed to pass inspection. I'd like to fix it as inexpensively as possible.

#5 ·
I think "they" are using some of the wrong names, you got it right. No pressure regulator. The fuel pressure sensor talks to the PCM which sends a signal to the FPM which sends the needed effective volts to the pump. And I would check the vacuum hose to the fuel rail sensor too.

If the fuel pump fails to deliver, or the filter blocks the flow, it can't reach the desired fuel pressure. It is a chain that must be all working. As you noted, good to check the easy things first.

And it starts with the FPS as in the pic, wires and vacuum hose.

-chart-

Attachments

#7 ·
Replaced Fuel Regulator Sensor

As suggested, I replaced the fuel regulator sensor. I also replaced the battery, as it was old and dead from trying to start the car. The car turns over now but still won't start. Any ideas as to why it won't start?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.