Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Rough idle on cold start

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  barryb 
#1 ·
Hello there , Looking for info on my '95GL w/3.0. I have been having intermittent trouble with rough idle and stalling out on cold start. If you apply the throttle to rev engine in range of 1000-1500 rpm for approx 10 seconds and release throttle engine will continue to run fine. Temps are anywhere from 10 deg C to -2c or 50 to 28 F. As mentioned it is intermittent , one start will be fine and engine goes to normal idle speed for initial start and next day rough idle. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Check for vacuum leaks.

When was the last time / miles that the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor were replaced? If plugs have been replaced, what brand?

Have you run the complete code rest (KOEO, CM, KOER)?

Check / clean / replace the IAC. If replacing use ONLY the Motorcraft part.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response Jeff. Not sure when or if plugs , wires... have been changed.
Have done a KOEO test because have had an check engine light flash on and off intermittently while driving. Had P0128 and P1404 codes.
Have not yet checked for vacuum leaks.
I hear a lot of issues referring to the IAC failing.
Wondering ,if my issue is an intermittent one, would plugs, wires ... or a vacuum leak be a consitant problem on each start? When the IAC is failing would it throw a code or would it be intermittent problem ?
Thanks

#5 ·
First thing that comes to mind is your PCV, check/clean the PCV and it's hose. Next thing I would think of is a vacuums leak. Check all hoses, clamps and of course your air cleaner.

Pull one of the plugs out and check, but that's not usually a big temp dependent thing.

A car that is already running rough will have more problems in the cold, pour a can of sea foam in the tank and see if it helps.

#6 ·
Is your car one of the very few 95 Vulcans that left the factory with OBDII? Reason I ask is the large majority of 95 Vulcans had OBDI, and output 3 digit code, not 4 digit.

Was the engine at operating temp when you ran codes and got the 128? If it was not at operating temp, ignore that code. If it was at operating temp, check ECT and its circuit back to the PCM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.