Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

How Often Change Radiator Fluid ?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rjacket 
#1 ·
How often do you change the antifreeze on your Taurus/Sable?

How do you change the antifreeze? Yourself. Just drain? Or some kind of a flush?

And is the frequency different for the Vulcan engine and the Duratec engine?

#3 · (Edited)
For my model year and engine (2004 Duratec), initial fill lasts 5 years. Change interval after that is 3 years. This is Ford Gold / Valvoline Zerex G-05.

Valvoline say that G-05 has shelf life of 5 years, the inhibitors break down just the same inside the jug or inside the engine. So the interesting point is why is the change interval 3 years?

One point of view I've heard is water quality when changing won't be as good as initial fill. But Mercedes, who use similar coolant actually say most tap water in the US is ok for coolant changes.

So I believe it's because the 3 year change is a drain and fill. You don't get all the old coolant out so need to swap it more often.

But seeing I get less than half the coolant out in a drain and fill, 3 year drain and fills wouldn't appear to keep the overall coolant age young enough.

So 2 years for a drain and fill would be more cautious. If you are flushing very thoroughly, and using distilled water, I would say you could go 5 years.

The other point is don't stock up on or buy old coolant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.