Beware of who does work on your car! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Beware of who does work on your car!

Some of you may recall a while back about me having odd shifting issues with my car between 1st-2nd gear. I ended up having a local shop fix the OSS since I couldn't do it in my garage due to bad exhaust manifold posts that would've broken off had I have attempted to remove the bolts. Immediately after I got my car back it was making a really wierd noise... like I had some kind of failed whipple supercharger on my car. The whine it'd make as I idled was bad... when I gave it acceleration it was enough for guys driving ricers to give me really odd looks like, "wow, man I want that!" Anyway... ruled out the belts by removing it from crank pulley. Noise was still there. I wasn't getting any codes or having any issues so I drove on it for about 2 months, just locally to school and work mostly. Then last week on the way home I got a new symptom when I slowed down to go over some railroad tracks: car began to buck and would not lock well into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gears. Two more tests later confirmed that this happens about 2-3 minutes after the car warms up. Took my car out for a test last friday cause a friend wanted to see what it does... and we nearly broke down. Soon as I stopped in the driveway, we popped the hood and gave it a bit of gas- car dies. Restart, and retry- car dies again. This time a CEL comes on and I scanned it as PO320- CPK cricuit malfunction.

So saturday I looked that thing up, found it on my car. Went to pull it out and it was essentially snapped in half! I don't know or how my car was even functioning at all! It was dragging on the flywheel and making that whining sound. It was also sending faulty PIP signals which was killing my car stone dead. I replaced it... noise gone, car runs good as new. Perfectly smooth shifts. I even reset the PCM so it'd relearn the shift points. So on 50 mile learn mode now... and I have one heck of a souvenir! See attachments to see my mangled CPK.

Only thing I can figure... this part did not and could not have broken itself. It's impossible. I tried to snap the cam sensor in half and there's just no way (yes, I replaced both sensors). What must have happened is that the transmission shop that did my OSS tried to remove the wrong sensor (the CPK) by ripping it out with pliers without rotating the alternator like you're supposed to. I had tons of issues with that shop, btw, called them out as soon as I got the car back, and it nearly came to a violent confrontation. But I know what they did, and I left them several horribly wonderful reviews online complete with the CPK pic.

2 months of hassle... and all they had to do was tell me they messed up. Unbelievable. Anyway... I fixed it. Here I was about ready to write my old bull off, but seems she still has life afterall!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_192654.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	180954  

My car:
A slightly beat up toreador red 2000 SE DOHC, premium package. Leather interior, dual power seats, dual deluxe vanity mirrors, digital climate control, moonroof, mach audio system w/ Kicker rear decks, modified CIA. 180K proudly earned miles, and still going strong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Fwiw, ckp sensor....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Chapter: Midwest

same reason why I started to work on my cars, shops and dealers can't be trusted if you don't know them really well. Most of the time since you are the one paying for the repairs or maintenance you'll end up replacing parts that don't need to be replaced or if it's replaced it will be with the inferior quality.

My mountaineer before has an extended warranty and usually I just go to shops that honors it and the last shop where I went to normally for oil changes made me not go back to them anymore. So I got this vacuum leak on a hose near the PCV and the check engine light is on, I told the shop that there might be a vacuum leak and need to check the hoses for leaks. So I waited for it and when it's delivered I ask the guy what did they do, "just drop in techron into the tank and replaced the fuel filter". I started it and it still running rough, they said "it will go away as you drive it". Drove it home and check engine light is on..
I opened the hood and checked the engine cover, there were no marks that they ever opened it (it's dusty) and without opening it they can't check the hoses. I removed the engine cover and looked for the hissing sound and found the broken hose. Replaced it myself and everything is back to normal..

Recently I bought a bmw e46 and I was even surprised that simple repairs costs that much, just because it's a BMW they are entitled to charge you more.. same thing with my 98 lincoln when I have them do the safety inspection, same shop told me a lot of BS on why they are charging higher for replacing the ball joints and stabilizer links because of the electronics involved in the suspension.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

and

Last edited by lincolnshibuya; 09-12-2016 at 10:25 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern

I generally do my own work... but that OSS sensor kicked my butt. Lol. It was ridiculous. I just needed a few more tools I don't have. Was still worth it to let them do it for little as I paid, I just wish they'd have been straight up with me to begin with. Cause it wasn't a big deal. Just cost me $50 and 2 months of time figuring it out is all.

Thanks for the correction, I don't know why I kept typing CPK. Think my brain and/or fingers were not fully awake yet.

My car:
A slightly beat up toreador red 2000 SE DOHC, premium package. Leather interior, dual power seats, dual deluxe vanity mirrors, digital climate control, moonroof, mach audio system w/ Kicker rear decks, modified CIA. 180K proudly earned miles, and still going strong!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:49 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

I'm convinced that a significant proportion of vehicle issues are mechanic inflicted.

Some like yours come to light soon after a repair. Others may take a year or several years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page