Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Catalytic Converter Problem P0430

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Throwaway123 
#1 ·
2004 Taurus, Vulcan, 180k Car has been well maintained and lots of the miles on long interstate trips.
On a recent 3 hour interstate trip I noticed a misfire under slow, stop/start conditions but most of the trip was interstate cruising, reasonably fast. On exiting it was running very rough, misfiring and pinging. CEL finally went on at the end of the journey. Since I was away from home I changed the spark plugs, put in a bottle of Techron and a tank full of 93 octane. It ran better but still not right on the return journey.
Two DTC codes, misfire on #2 and lean bank (back) I ran a smoke test, replaced the O-rings at the EGR connection and intake runner which solved the lean condition but not the misfire. Turned out I had damaged the ignition wire boot on #2 when I changed the spark plugs. I replaced the ignition wire and replaced the fouled spark plug. Running on all 6 again but now have a P0430 code, “catalytic converter out of spec” and surprise, surprise it’s the back bank on the Y-pipe!
So my question is, how do I fix this?
Replace the Y pipe with both front catalytic converters? Easy enough to do but expensive!!
Any other advice to save money? The Ford Y pipe is almost as much $ as the car is worth.
I will not put acetone in the fuel tank!!
I had permanent success one time with a bottle of “Guaranteed to Pass” and a two hour run at low altitude on the interstate. I was surprised how fast a 4 cylinder Toyota will run! Unfortunately, no such luck with the Taurus.
If the platinum screen in the cat is damaged then it is junk.
If it is not damaged, just fouled due to #2 misfiring, has anyone had any success trying to clean out a catalytic converter? Fill it with hot solution of Citric and Oxalic acid and let it soak for a few days??
Just looking for some ideas. All help is appreciated, John Kenneth

See less See more
#6 ·
The Haynes instructions to remove the Y pipe look simple but Haynes tries to cover multiple models..
Do I need to remove the R/H drive axle to remove the Y pipe on a 2004 Vulcan?
Can anyone point me to some step by step instructions?
I appreciate all the help. I need to get the car inspected so I need to fix it asap. Thanks John Kenneth

#8 ·
Just an update, but I had the same P0430 code.

I switched out the o2 sensor, with the original one I had replaced a few months ago, drove for a while and the code didn't show up.

I suspect that my o2 sensor somehow shorted out when my alternator went through and I kept on driving till the entire car lost power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.