Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Is it possible to clean your engine oil dipstick?

15K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jag1959 
#1 · (Edited)
Mines is stained, I've wiped it with soapy water and cloth..didn't work, is there another way to clean or should I just get another one from junk yard. I can't even check my oil accurately.

#2 ·
Brake cleaner.

Reactions: sousa632
#3 ·
Old school: take a propane tourch and heat it till it turns blue, only in the working area. Then sand one side of it with fine sand paper so it is shiny. Then you use the side that best matches your eye and light for seeing the level. Oh yes let it cool before sanding.:lol2:

Of just to clean, use acetone. Bigger question, why is it stained?

-chart-

#6 · (Edited)
Old school: take a propane tourch and heat it till it turns blue, only in the working area. Then sand one side of it with fine sand paper so it is shiny. Then you use the side that best matches your eye and light for seeing the level. Oh yes let it cool before sanding.:lol2:

Of just to clean, use acetone. Bigger question, why is it stained?

-chart-
Update, decided to check. This metal must be SS as it does not want to color like steel. So, heated it up good and dipped in in used motor oil. Pic does not show how dark it turned. So I sanded the back side to shine. So now will use which side shows best. For now it is the shine side.

-chart-

#11 ·
Oven cleaner worked awesome to remove this super nasty burned and caked on grime on the intake manifold on my 2000 that the parts washer would not touch as a side note.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.