Do you think TRANSMISSION DRAIN AND FILLS are necessary? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1996
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Do you think TRANSMISSION DRAIN AND FILLS are necessary?

Just wanted a few opinions, do you al think Transmission Drain and Fills are really necessary to keep your transmission healthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
Just wanted a few opinions, do you al think Transmission Drain and Fills are really necessary to keep your transmission healthy?
Ford says to do that every 30K. The friction modifiers do wear out and wear materials from the clutches get into the fluid. I suck the fluid out the dipstick tube, put it in used 5Q oil jugs and note how much came out. Then put back what I removed. I pull the vent cap off to add fluid, makes it go down faster. Need a special funnel for that. Remember to put the vent cap back on the proper way. Should be wobbly loose. Exchange takes me ~30 minutes.

Ford says 150K on the filter. I can live with that.

-chart-
dannyyakk likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: mult
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Hard not to think the fluid change is not a good idea when you see how everything has the blackish coating on it.
sousa632 likes this.

2006 Vulcan 52k GF daily driver
2003 Vulcan 73k My daily driver
2000 Vulcan 112k saved from the scrap yard
1991 3.8 207k drove to junk yard, 1988 Vulcan lost in divorce
2009 Impala 3.0 15k my nice car
1996 F250 Powerstroke my toy-pristine lots of mods

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 09:49 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Fluid is not a 'lifetime' item and therefore NEEDS to be changed at recommended intervals. So yes, they are necessary to keep a transmission healthy, and anyone who says differently shouldn't be.

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 194K miles and kicking, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sousa632; 08-20-2016 at 09:51 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 10:51 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Absolutely and even a casual perusal of the forum would have answered the question 100 fold. The AX4N is the Achilles heel of a Tec equipped Bull
sousa632 likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

My old '00 wagon went 212k miles on the original trans. with 50k fluid changes. Sold that car and of last year still on the road. My old '99 Yukon went 190k miles on same schedule and it towed trailers. Sold it and still on the road.
At the junkyard I'll guarantee every non crashed higher mileage car you see there is there due to a blown trans. that was never properly maintained.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 94
Engine: 3.8L Essex

I've always performed a pan drop, filter change & Full tranny fluid pump out at 30-35K mile intervals on our short tripped/severe service trannies & am always rewarded with improved shift feel. The 94 3.8L Taurus AXODE & 99 4.0L Ranger 5R55E tranny's are still with us without repair so far. The Taurus is short tripped around town, the Ranger tows my bass boat over & through the Blue Ridge Mtns 60 miles each round trip. I use oem tranny filters & licensed tranny fluids. So, yes as has been said, it's wise to change the tranny fluid & filter on a scheduled basis & imo perform a Full fluid pump out, so the old fluid isn't weakening the new fluids ad pack. Base oils get sheared & ad packs get depleted & the fluid gets contaminated with wear materials & other putrids that the filter won't remove. A tranny fluid UOA can determine how we're doing, but that'll cost about half of what a fluid & filter service we can do ourselves, would cost.

94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A
99 Ranger 4dr 4.0L 5spd Auto
Payload & Tow Pkg

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 11:11 AM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Not trying to hijack this post. I need to to this soon myself any brands of fluid/filters go for?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:32 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
The Taurus definitely benefits from PROPER transmission service. This means approved fluid and filling to the correct level.

The 30k / 3 year change is not a drain and fill but a line off exchange. In my experience, this interval seems right.

Like chart though, I've decided to do periodic drain and fills through the dipstick (I have a Mityvac). I have a spreadsheet where I calculated that 10k miles for a 50% drain and fill works out to be the same as the 30k mile full exchange.

I have used 3 different Mercon V brands and monitored transmission temperatures and right now think the Valvoline Mercon V (not technically approved) is better than the Motorcraft Mercon V. The third fluid I used was Pennzoil Multi Vehicle which claimed to meet Mercon V. I only had 6 quarts and used it for a drain and fill and didn't like the results when it mixed with the Motorcraft.

I've recorded lower temperature with the Valvoline Mercon V and this would technically mean it would last longer. But many believe the important thing is to perform the change to remove debris. My UOA on Mercon V showed it was in good condition at 16k miles but that it held a lot of wear debris.

It is probably overkill to do a drain and fill every 10k miles or sometimes sooner, as I do. Many here have long lasting transmissions with drain and fills (not full exchanges) every 30k miles or even longer. But since I have over 50 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V that I got for $1 a quart, there is very little downside for me personally if I do 10k miles or less drain and fills.

Lastly, I happen to believe that most mechanical failures are because of sloppy mechanics using the wrong fluid or leaving fluids at the wrong level. Enthusiasts are less likely to make those mistakes and on weakly engineered parts like the Taurus transmission, that may be one reason that on this forum you find long lasting transmissions with basic maintenance. In the rest of the world, it seems your Taurus transmission has as much chance of lasting if you leave it alone or ask a mechanic to service it.

Last edited by rjacket; 08-21-2016 at 12:42 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:35 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmith View Post
Not trying to hijack this post. I need to to this soon myself any brands of fluid/filters go for?
Any approved Mercon V.

I'm happy with the non approved "Valvoline for Mercon V". Didn't like Pennzoil Multi Vehicle. Others swear by Maxlife. Supertech Mercon V smells awful!

The Motorcraft filter is made by Filtran. They probably make it for several other brands as well, so any major filter brand will be ok if you find the Motorcraft is costing twice as much.

But it only needs changing every 120k miles ..........
jaysmith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page