Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2001 Duratec 3.0L V6 Taurus Hesitates while idling

951 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 ·
Here recently my cat haso been hesitating while idling mainly when the car is first started. It sounds like the car is going to die for a couple of minutes until I drive it around a little and the engine warms up. Is this anything I should be concerned about or anything I can do about it. Thanks

#2 ·
Maintenance history? Miles on the car? CEL on? Even if the CEL isnt on, have you checked for pending codes?

#3 ·
First off Thank you for responding. There are 3 codes P0171, P0174, and P0300. There is 120,000 miles on the car and the oil has been changed regularly. There was a recent breakdown because of low transmission fluid and after that the car died while idling and that was fixed by fixing the CPS cable. Both breakdowns happened within the last 2 months. Since then the car has not broke down but just has had a rough idle at startup but is fine afterwards.

#5 ·
Duratec rough idle on cold startup and getting better when warm is a sign of LIM gaskets leaking. Been there. Worn plugs will do the same. Repl. plugs first and check all the vacuum lines and if not better then it probably will need the LIM gaskets.

#7 ·
My bad, uppers are the most common and easier to get to. I had to do both on my '00 wagon at over 200k miles on that car. If no vac. hose bad / leaking then while you have the upper off to change plugs do them at the same time. Gaskets are cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.