Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Tranny Issues

772 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeff K 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2004 SES with the ax4n and floor shifter. When I bought the car it had shifting issues. The codes were 1714 and 1716. I replaced all three shift solenoids, but the problems persisted. I replaced the tranny with a known good one, but the same problems continued. It shifts hard from 1-2, and slowly slides from 3-4. If I hand shift it, it performs satisfactory. However, when I shift from 1-2, I must pull the shifter back into the one slot, or it will shift all the way to 3 quickly and dog out. Since the new transmission does the same as the old one, do I have an ECM issue?

moderator edit: Op your post was moved here from the introduction forum

#2 ·
Swapping ECMs is easy if you can find one with the same or a compatible code from the junk yard but it does take reprogramming the keys/PATS. I am not saying that is your issue though. Did you use the same speed sensors?

#4 ·
I had that problem with a 1970s Chevy Nova company car, but there was a disconnected vacuum hose somewhere that only allowed manual shifting. I know it sounds dumb for a Taurus, but check your vacuum lines.

#5 ·
TRS can cause weird things to happen also.

#6 ·
I am thinking PCM issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.