Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

99 steering knuckle bolt

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Lgbpop 
#1 ·
just putting things together after replacing ball joints. Unfortunately I've slept a few times since removing the pinch bolt, I've forgotten how it goes on. So, just looking for some assistance on getting it right.
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the bolt in the picture is the pinch bolt? could you verify for me.

And, does the bolt go in with the bolt head towards the tie rod or away from the tie rod

What is the best way for getting everything put together. I'm replacing the struts also. So, I the knuckle off the strut and the axle. And, I've seen a few ways to put things back together.

1) seems like what is mostly used. attach the knuckle to the strut with the pinch bolt. Insert the axle into the hub and try to get the ball joint into the control arm.

2) put the axle into the hub, put the ball joint into the control arm and then try to get the strut onto the knuckle.

3) Ive thought of pushing the knuckle a little high onto the strut, put the axle into the hub, put the ball joint into the control arm, then push the knuckle down on the strut so you can put the pinch through the hole in the tab. Sound like a good idea, but probably a clearance problem between the strut and axle.

Thanks for the assistance.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The bolt on my 03 went front to back for insertion.

Lowering the subframe a touch over and inch lets you do the strut or ball joint without a fight. I just used a long pry bar in the control arm to flex it down.

Reactions: sheila and jag1959
#6 ·
Thanks for the help.

I went with the "attach the knuckle to the strut" and then use a bar to push the control arm down and insert the ball joint.

just push the ball joint leg towards the control arm (away from the brake dust plate). the ball joint goes in the hole a lot easier that way then when it is pointing towards the wheel hub.

#7 ·
Please, update your User Profile to reflect what car you have? If I didn't know better, you could have a 1959 Edsel. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.