Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

airbag diagnostics

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Elijah Brown 
#1 · (Edited)
My 17 year old son got a 1995 Taurus SE, it's got just over 100 000 miles.
Not too bad of shape, good on fuel (it seems), but it has an airbag diagnostic up.
5 buzzes (not the same as a door chime) and what looks to be a code 52 on the diagnostic light.

any advice?

from what I read, it could simply be a airbag power issue from when the battery went dead. Vehicle has a new battery now.

#2 ·
Ive seen conflicting info on how i can attempt to reset this trouble code.
Has anyone done such before?
I don't see how disconnecting the battery for a short while will work, as that was probably what caused it in the first place..

#7 · (Edited)
I had to wait till I got to a pc to do some decent searching.
It looks like the Safing Sensor is located near/at the drivers side kick panel - makes sense as I was recently repairing the drivers door weatherstrip - which required removal of that kick panel.

Hopefully I didn't turn the mounting screw into the conductors when I put it back on.

#8 ·
EDit:

a bit of snooping, pointed me towards this:

Ford Technical Documents - www.fordmods.com

I'm not sure if it applies to my '95 or not - but if it does, it isn't the safing sensor but rather a memory clear circuit failure (code 23, dtc b1923)

In the link is a picture of a connector with many points on it - the instructions in the link state to ground a specific pin in the connector. where is this connector located?

#10 ·
Thanks much - I'm honestly hoping that if this is the case, it's a sensor and not a wiring issue.
I'm much too old to hang upside down and try to trance conductors in an automotive environment.
It may be cost effective for me to have the stealership look at it rather than me risking an accidental deployment (That'd be my luck).

#11 ·
When I was troubleshooting my airbag issue, I found that those websites that show meanings of airbag codes weren't accurate - get the service manual for your car and then you'll know for sure plus have all the wiring diagrams.

The service manual plus a scan tool like forescan (free plus a $30 adapter) are the key to airbag work. There's nothing magic, disconnect power and let it set for a couple minutes and you don't have to worry about it going off accidentally. Once you fix the damaged pieces, forescan will be able to clear the stored codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.