Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Dash vents slowly stop flowing

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chartmaker 
#1 ·
After 30 minutes of continuous driving (99 Taurus) with the ac on max, air coming out the dash vents drops to almost zero. If I switch to floor only for 60 seconds, and then back to max, dash vent airflow is restored, but slowly degrades again.
I can hear the air blowing in the vent system, but it's not exiting anywhere until i perform the floor/msx cycle.

any ideas are appreciated.

#2 ·
I would be suspicious of the evaporator freezing up. That being said I am kinda surprised that you can thaw it in just 60 seconds.

Reactions: ice445
#3 ·
2x on Tom
Hot outside air defrosts evaporator.
Also a sign of overcharge in system.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's something with the vent system. Cold air is flowing immediately when switched to floor mode. I can hear the air trying to escape the vent system. I removed the glove box and passenger side airbag, and can see three vent door actuators. Will observe their position.

#5 ·
Damper positions managed by vacuum. If you loose vacuum due to a leak or check valve not holding things will go to default, I think that is defrost. Easy test. Let the car coase for several seconds, and if that makes it good again, you have a leak. Vacuum storage bottle is behind the pas side tire and fender liner. Hoses to it can be followed. Leak under dash will depleat the stored vacuum.

Blend door is electric but that just does hot/cold.

-chart-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.