Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Broke UIM bolt :( anyone know Ford part number?

999 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  japakar 
#1 · (Edited)
*post 4 conclusion*
Ive been trying to figure it out but there are too many options, inputting your VIN doesnt seem to narrow it down on ford parts search, except to 11 pages of which 3 are bolts!

Its the shorter bolts nearer the front of the car on the UIM. Front drivers one broke (doesnt seem to be leak so ill just be nice on accelerator until I get a new bolt)

I was going to go to the junkyard, saw their half price day signs, saw the line of people waiting to park and decided, not today! Lot is totally full of people.

Also wondering, best option drilling a small hole and trying a bolt remover (drill bit head that hopefully pulls it out) to remove broken bolt? Its flush with the surface below it so no vice grips.

Thanks so much for the help! At worse I will go to ford parts store Tuesday when they are open.

Vin is S for engine type. (99 DOHC)

#2 · (Edited)
Will removing the other 5 bolts and the uim give you access to the broken one? I would go back to the jy when less busy and snag a few bolts/isolators. If you can wait 'til next week, I probably have a few complete sets in the cellar. Pm me a mailing address and I'll send you a "shorty" free. Or, take 1 of the other front bolts to a hardware store and try to match it up.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info and the offer, went and got a bolt that I hope matches from home depot. Ordered an extractor set, should have it in 2 days or so depending on holiday shipping.

Was planning on the glove box today :p million other things happen but not that :(*

#4 · (Edited)
Just to recap went with home depot bolt SKU # 562 660 in bolt aisle in the metric pull out drawers. Fit is perfect, 64 cents compared to 19 dollars at the dealership! (and it says call for availability, doesnt say they can get it) 6mm x 1.0 x 50mm
My bolt extractor came in the mail today, got bolt out a few minutes later and then this one in. The bolt is pretty much the same as original except it does not flare out towards the top of the bolt and the head is different (larger hex). The threads are in the same area, washers were not needed but I used one just to be sure it was even.

and the bolt on the UIM. (with a small washer)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.