Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Cylinder 2 Misfire, more pronounced when AC is on.

11K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been going after this one for a bit, I've done plugs and the coil. I've also replaced the plenum gaskets and egr gasket after removing the plenum to get to the plugs and coil. I spent some time with a hose listening for vacuum leaks around the engine compartment.

I think wires are probably next... but my getting a feeling they wont help.

Notes about the misfire:
1. misfires at idle. especially of the AC is on.
2. if I get on the expressway without turning off the AC the misfire becomes more pronounced, once severe enough to flash the engine light. (This is when I got the cylinder 2 misfire code)
3. Misfires when cold as well as hot, I haven't noticed any difference here.
4. The engine rpms stay pretty constant the ac compressor kicking in doesn't change the rpms, also the compressor was recently replaced.

#3 ·
What type / brand plugs did you use?

#4 ·
My 2001 Sable was doing the exact same thing. The misfire would even get worse when the a/c was on. I replaced the coil pack, plugs, plug wires, and injectors. All parts are OEM, and it runs awesome now. Good luck.

Reactions: Denodster
#11 · (Edited)
Okay I just got done putting the new wires on, I haven't started her up yet, the spark plug on cyl 2 looks good, but the gap is measuring .050 with the crappy gaping tool I have. The plugs were supposed to be pre-gapped when I bought them. Does anyone know what the correct gap is supposed to be?

Edit: my car was in an accident and the headerpanel/hood are from a different car, so I don't feel comfortable trusting the stickers, but the sticker says 1.32...

#13 ·
All is well, I bought an extra spark plug while I was at the store and replaced the plug in cyl 2. put everything back together and started her up and I was unable to detect a single misfire during my test drive. I think this one is licked. Thank you all for your help.

Now on to the Transmission hiccup I keep having...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.