Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Got a new battery...now my air conditioner doesn't work!? Suggestions?

23K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  starship95 
#1 ·
This car is so unpredictable..I recently got a new starter, all of a sudden my air conditioner stops working. I had no idea the battery had anything to do with the air condition.

Can anybody give me any suggestions on what possible reasons me getting a new battery made my air conditioner stop working?

#2 ·
You say you got a new starter, then say you got a new battery....... which is it? starter? battery? both?

If it was the starter that was replaced, did the AC stop working immediately after the replacement or a few days later? If immediate, check the harness to the clutch. If a day or week after, the AC failure is likely unrelated.

FYI the battery and electrical system are involved in operating EVERYTHING on the car, including the AC system.

Reactions: ice445 and jag1959
#5 ·
A/C stopped working immediately after the new battery...I mistyped and didn't even notice it. I got the starter a few weeks later, but the battery stopped blowing cold air after I had the new battery installed.

It blows air, just not cold air.

#4 ·
If it was the battery and you had it disconnected for a long time and you have the Electronic HVAC controls then you may need to do a reset. I forget the button sequence off hand but its here in the wiki or in the forums. Otherwise as others have stated, we need some more information and clarity on your situation.

#6 ·
Do a search for EATC Self Test. There are numerous posts in the forums depending on your model and year.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/129647-climate-control-only-blowing-hot-air.html
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1282061-post7.html

Basically this does the following (copied from another post I found)

This test exercises all the vacuum switches and electric actuators, then it displays an error code for the malfunction if there is one in the ac display.
Unfortunately it is only for the Ford products with the digital climate control.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING (Continued)
• To enter the self-test, press the OFF and floor buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show
a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the integrated control panel (ICP).

• The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate
control display window of the ICP.

• To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent Air Temperature Powertrain DTCs, press the ‘‘—’’ (cooler) side of the TEMP Sensor Circuit Control/Emissions
button. The RCC module will exit the self-test High Diagnosis(PC/ED)and retain all intermittent DTCs.

• To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the front defrost button. All RCC module DTCs will be cleared.

• Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned off).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.