Melted intake - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Melted intake

So far i have gone through 3 intakes. Wow i dont know what to do.... I have read that others have had the same issue, but no one can explain the exact cause... I have a 2005 ford Taurus 3.0 OHV. From what it seems the EGR is throwing out way to much into the intake. I so so desperately need an answer to this issue as it is killing me.

moderator edit: this has been moved to it's own thread

Last edited by jag1959; 03-13-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblazen View Post
I am having this exact same issue. So far i have gone through 3 intakes. Wow i dont know what to do.... I have read that others have had the same issue, but no one can explain the exact cause... I have a 2005 ford Taurus 3.0 OHV. From what it seems the EGR is throwing out way to much into the intake. I so so desperately need an answer to this issue as it is killing me.
Make sure the PCV valve is working properly. It feeds cooling air also into the EGR area. Actually directly into the EGR outlet.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Make sure the PCV valve is working properly. It feeds cooling air also into the EGR area. Actually directly into the EGR outlet.
I do believe the PCV is working bc there is air flowing through. The issue is that its really hot.... I there is no vacuum leaks as i have replaced all lines.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:23 AM
Devoted Member

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblazen View Post
I do believe the PCV is working bc there is air flowing through. The issue is that its really hot.... I there is no vacuum leaks as i have replaced all lines.
Try replacing the DPFE. If it's faulty the computer will send more EGR flow than required. A faulty EGR valve that cannot close would also cause something like this. You could also disable the EGR system to prevent further manifold casualties if you don't mind the codes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Devoted Member

My system seems to be working properly and the area arounf the EGR exhaust into the intake is heat damaged also. It is slightly bubbled around the PCV area. Maybe your cats are getting plugged. I believe it is a marginal design from the OEM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
My system seems to be working properly and the area arounf the EGR exhaust into the intake is heat damaged also. It is slightly bubbled around the PCV area. Maybe your cats are getting plugged. I believe it is a marginal design from the OEM.

The Cats are brand new.... I just installed them a couple weeks ago.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:12 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1994

Don't forget about the EGR vacuum control solenoid. It works in tandem with the EGR valve and DPFE. I had to replace all three recently. I have read that the Ford DPFEs are notoriously faulty even though there has been a steady stream of revisions in their design.

Also, it is quite common for the EGR tubing to become restricted (even completely blocked!) with carbon where it meets the intake manifold. If so, excess pressure will theoretically build at that juncture, causing heat buildup. Remove the EGR valve and spray carburetor cleaner through the tubing, into the manifold, until the engine stalls easily at idle.

BTW, you can check for any exhaust gas blockage with an inexpensive vacuum tester. If vacuum drops a little at high idle, there is a block of some sort.

Last edited by TechSurfer; 03-13-2016 at 10:27 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

all three sensors are new. Just replaced in case. The issue if anything is there is too much exhaust coming through... then it meets with the hot pvc gas then melts hole in the intake.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:37 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1994

You might have a small leak in the exhaust, allowing air in, and an engine that is running a bit rich. Theoretically, the air & fuel mixture is partially burning in the exhaust, raising the temperature of the exhaust.

You could check the temperature of the catalytic converter(s) with an inexpensive infrared thermometer. At 2k rpm idle, it should be about 500 degrees F at the front side and not more than 100 higher at the back side of the cat. Be sure to point the thermometer past the heat shield. If the back side reading is much higher than the front, the engine is running rich (or cylinders are not firing properly).

Small exhaust leaks are not always audible. Use an inexpensive auto stethoscope to listen for slight quantities of gas escaping.

If there were really too much exhaust gas flowing into the engine, there would likely be misfire codes and other noticeable problems.

Last edited by TechSurfer; 03-14-2016 at 03:43 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

I am getting a p0300. Random misfire code. And 2195 2197 codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page