Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Valve Lifter Replacement

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Vee 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus with the Duratec. I plan on replacing my spark plugs and valve cover gasket as well as my pcv valve. While in there, I'm going to resolve my ticking engine by replacing the lifters.

I've never done this before.

Will I need a special tool?

Is it as straightforward as I assume it is? Any tips? Oddly enough I searched the forums and I couldn't find any I instructions.

Thanks in advance for any help. You guys here have helped me get this car over 186,000 miles.

#2 ·
Is this on the firewall side bank? There is a TSB on ticking lifters in the Tec. It involves loosening the cam bearing cams and retorquing them. I think the details are somewhere around on this site.

#3 ·
I came across that already. The TSB starts at the 01 model year, I fall just behind that.

Perhaps it's just regular chatter that the Duratec seems to be known for. I thought I could address that issue if I had the manifold off, but perhaps I'm trying to solve a problem that's not really there?

I have noticed a drop in mpg but that could mean a whole lotta things with a car this old

#4 ·
OK, I guess I'll take a pass on those lifters for now. I'll chalk it up to standard Duratec ticking?

I don't want to dig into this engine realizing I need a tool to get the lifters out, and I sure don't want to replace them while causing more damage either.

#5 ·
OK, I guess I'll take a pass on those lifters for now. I'll chalk it up to standard Duratec ticking?

I don't want to dig into this engine realizing I need a tool to get the lifters out, and I sure don't want to replace them while causing more damage either.
I would want to be sure it is lifters. I was sure the sound was just that on my '03 DOHC. Turns out it was the A/C pulley. Only at full warm idle.

If you have a minor tick, it will do no harm.

-chart-

#7 ·
I didn't touch the lifters. I did replace the gaskets in the valve covers, including the cylinder gaskets. I also replaced the gaskets on both ends of the manifold itself. It was rather easy to do.

Valve cover and the upper intake manifold bolts were torqued to 7.5 ft lbs, or 90 in lbs. Seemed rather light. The spark plugs were hand tightened as I would on any other car.

Thanks for the help. I will post a video of the chatter, sometime later this week. I think I'm in good shape. The engine was remarkably clean for having clocked in 186,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.