Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Intake manifold qurstion

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  noluck4 
#1 ·
So on the 02 3.0 Vulcan it's a plastic upper intake plenum I'm curious can I swap over the aluminum plenum off of a previous year Taurus or another 3.0? I don't like the plastic one cause it risks warping easy

#2 ·
No.

It's not really a "plastic" but a high temperature composite. You really think Ford would put a meltable intake manifold on the car?

#3 · (Edited)
Sort of yes. My manifold on my 2006 is showing signs of melting where the EGR gasses enter the manifold.
However it is lighter and flows better than the aluminum ones.

Melting and warping are to different things. The thermo plastic fiber reinforced intakes my not warp as much as aluminum intakes because they don't have the mass and built in stresses as aluminum. It's all how they are manufactured. I was talking to someone about 3D printers and if they don't have a heated table the object starts to distort as it is printed and cooled. Stress relief at the factory is key. I never had a "plastic" part distort on any car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.