Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

dangling hose

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  CherylH 
#1 ·
HI! I noticed at the store that something was dangling down underneath the car. I don't know the names of things, so I'll describe it. If my descriptions don't mean anything, I'll post a pic.

Dangling down, there was a "canister" about 2 X 2.5 inches with a T hose connection at the top. At the T there were two hoses, one smaller than the other. Neither hose was connected to anything.

The smaller hose seemed to go to a small diameter, bent, metal tube that wasn't connected to anything either that was near the EGR valve. So, I assumed that is where it went. The nipple on the metal tube fit snugly into the hose, so I trimmed the split end of the hose and reconnected that one. I "think" that is where it should go. I hope. ???

The big question, though, is where does the other one go, on the other side of the T connector? The end was frayed so it seems I should be able to find another frayed end somewhere. But within the length of the hose, I couldn't find another hose, even after removing the air filter box. Seems it should be on the driver's side, since the frayed piece doesn't reach anywhere else.

I'm getting a 326 error code, which would make sense since the other side of the T was disconnected from emissions.

Assume I have a little knowledge, but beginner for sure. I'm working on my car because I'm tired of going to mechanics who charge me for parts, but don't fix the problem, and don't know the answer to any questions I ask, like where does this hose go?

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Pics

Auto part

This is a top view of the mystery canister that was dangling down underneath the engine. At the bottom, not shown, it connects to an electrical bunch of wires going off in all directions to many different things. Also, I tried to label these pics with landmarks. As you can see, from the top of the canister is a T connector with 2 hoses. I've labeled them hose 1 and hose 2.

Product Pipe Auto part Steel Metal

This is a closeup of the "mystery canister" from the side view, standing on the driver's side of the front engine. In the upper left corner, you can see a bit of the radiator, for a landmark. The larger size hose left foreground isn't important to this question, just labeled as a landmark.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Fuel line

This pic shows where I believe hose 1 should go. It was disconnected from anything when I discovered the mystery canister dangling under the car. Hose 1 connects to this metal tube, I think. The end of the metal tube connects to a nipple right next to the square EGR Vacuum pressure sensor. It's hard to see the left end, because it's in shadow. (I'm not 100% that hose 1 should connect to this metal tube. But, it's the only place it seemed to belong.) The other end connects to Hose 1 on the mystery canister on the right side of the pic. On this pic, you can't see the mystery canister, but arrow shows where it's at. (Don't confuse arrow showing front of engine.)

Material property Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

This pic shows the mystery canister, with the frayed end that I just propped up on the battery to get a picture of the frayed hose end.

The question, then, is 1. what is the mystery canister? 2. Does hose 1 connect to the metal tube like I did here, and 3. where does hose 2 supposed to go, what does it connect to, and where is the part it should connect to, and what is that part named?

I was reading in Chilton, and I started to wonder if it should connect to the gas vapor canister? But, I don't know where the vapor canister is located to see if a hose was missing. Just an idea, I don't know. ???

Thank you so much for looking at this.

#5 ·
That is the canister purge solenoid (called the CANP in Fordspeak). It opens under cruise conditions to suck fuel vapors from the gas tank stored that are stored in the charcoal canister so the engine can burn them. PCM does have code in it to compensate for the "extra" fuel going into the engine when the CANP is open, but realistically, if it not operational you wont notice anything with how the engine runs. The CANP just "hangs there" on its hoses.... it dosent have a bracket or support in fits into.

The PCM only monitors the CANP to be sure it is electrically connected. PCM does not monitor if it is actually operating correctly.

Of course, the hoses from the intake to the CANP and CANP to charcoal canister must be connected and intact (not cracked, loose, etc). If disconnected, especially the one from the CANP to the intake, will result in a vacuum leak that will likely make the engine idle poorly and possibly set a lean mixture code.

#6 ·
THANK YOU!

Jeff, thank you! You are a life-saver! Knowing the name of the thing, I found a diagram in the Haynes manual, and can get it hooked back up.

The car still runs, but there are some symptoms that now make sense. Like, sometimes the rpms get very low, car sounds like it's going to die, but corrects itself and keeps running. Sometimes the smell of gas, but not always.

Again, Thank you!

#7 ·
Resolved -- followup

In case anyone else needs to know where that hose goes . . . as Jeff said, the mystery canister, purge solenoid, is part of the emissions control system. The hose that was disconnected from the purge solenoid connects to T connector under the car. I'm talking about the hose from the purge solenoid that is the shortest hose (14"). Hard to explain where the connection for this hose is located. I'll try. To get to where the hose connects, you have to be under the car. (Unless you have really long arms). You can see it if you know what to look for, by looking between the space on the left side of the battery if you're facing towards the back of the car. Go under the car at the front of the car between the driver's side headlight and the center of the hood. There is a rail under there where a hose runs the length of the rail with a T connector on the driver's side. The T connector, on my 1994 Taurus, is white, and the short side of the purge solenoid hose connects to that T connector. Good luck!

And, thank you again, Jeff!

#9 ·
Thanks!

I spent hours on the internet trying to find what that mystery canister was called, and where that hose should go. I bought Haynes and Chilton for my vehicle. I looked at hundreds of pictures on google. Did endless searches. Well, you get the idea. I thought I'd save someone else from that frustration. Thanks for noticing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.