Car kills when put in gear (<0 deg F) - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 36770
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1999 Merc Sable GS 3.0L OHV Vulcan V6 engine 155555 miles
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
JBsable99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car kills when put in gear (<0 deg F)

Hello All,

I figured my issue would be more common, but searches turned up nothing. Anyway...it was a balmy -11 in Minneapolis this morning and my car had some troubles this morning. No car likes starting up in -11, but things are usually okay once started, right? Maybe not? I ask because my car died immediately when I put it in gear after a ~1 minute "warm-up". I brought it back to park and tried to re-start it, but the car wouldn't turn over. A quick jump gave the battery the extra shove to get the car started again.

This almost happened the last time it was this cold (about 2 weeks ago), and I expect it to happen again tomorrow morning when the low will be about -15. I've never replaced the starter motor or the alternator. Do you think I need to change those out? Both parts still work, but maybe it's getting to be "that time". Is this even related to those parts? I suppose it could be a stuck valve somewhere, being -11 and all.

Thanks!
JBsable99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

When was the last time the battery was changed?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Spend my 02˘ wisely...

Member Number: 16432
Chapter: Southern
Drives: Fords
madscientist has much to be proud ofmadscientist has much to be proud ofmadscientist has much to be proud ofmadscientist has much to be proud of

The fact that it didn't die until you put it into gear doesn't directly lend itself to a battery, alternator or starter issue, though the fact that it wouldn't restart might be reason enough to have the battery and alternator checked. -11 is hell for even a new battery.

Given the temperature, one minute is a rather short warm up time. The oil and transmission fluid are at a molasses like viscosity at that temperature. This is especially true if your transmission fluid is past it's prime. I would start with letting the car warm up for a good five to ten minutes when it's that cold. I'd be willing to bet it solves your issue.

If your tranny fluid hasn't been changed in a while, this might be something to address as well. As it ages, its low temperature performance goes to hell. Synthetic ATF has a real advantage in extreme temperature and may be worth the extra coin the next time you flush it.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” - Winston Churchill
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Possible the IAC is hanging up
"But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good."
~Oscar Wilde~

I'd rather be on my Wing
jag1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 85
crackhead has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to crackhead Send a message via Yahoo to crackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1959 View Post
Possible the IAC is hanging up
Like a fly in an ice cube.

I hope you are using your engine block heater tonight.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 36770
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1999 Merc Sable GS 3.0L OHV Vulcan V6 engine 155555 miles
JBsable99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh what I would give for a block heater. The Focus we have has one, but not this beater of a Sable.

Battery is new as of last winter. IAC probably needs cleaning... I've had a jumpy idle for quite a while but not jumpy/rough enough to get me to start tearing stuff apart.

Trans fluid will be 3 years old this coming May, so you're probably right on that front madscientist.

I'll let it warm up some. I had planned on that already, but I asked anyway in case others have seen different root causes.
JBsable99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 31416
Drives: 2000 sable sedan duratec v6 built in chicago
sable2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
e.

If your tranny fluid hasn't been changed in a while, this might be something to address as well. As it ages, its low temperature performance goes to hell. Synthetic ATF has a real advantage in extreme temperature and may be worth the extra coin the next time you flush it.
Which synthetic transmission fluid do you use? I thought mercon V only came as semi-synthetic. Are you using amsoil?
sable2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

The transmission oil and engine oil are thicker yes, but not enough to stall an engine like that. I ran into this issue with my '97 and every so often with my 2005 Taurus. It's common among the Taurus it appears after looking into it over the years. Just give the engine a few minutes to warm up before putting it into gear on cold mornings. There's more then likely nothing you're gonna be able to really do to correct it.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement