brakes problems - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 34910
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 95 Sable GS/ 3.0L
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dfordg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default brakes problems

I'm currently having some serious brakes problems. I've now opened up and had a look at the brakes on both the rear driver and passenger side. The biggest problem at the moment is, the rear passenger side wheel area is leaking brake fluid. I can't quite identify what the tubing/ brake line is where the leak is coming from. In my manuals/ diagrams, there's a brake fluid line that goes into the top of the caliper area, but the leak is coming from a different line that runs underneath. I've attached an image here. It's the tube/ line right in the center of the image.

Everything looks intact on the driver's side. I have pads to do a replacement but haven't been able to rotate the caliper on the passenger side to do the installation. The top caliper pin ("rear brake pin retainer") loosens easily, but the bottom one may be stuck/ seized.

If someone can identify what this component is that's leaking that'd be a start.
Attached Thumbnails
brakes problems-dscf8751-edit1-rear-passenger-brakes.jpg  
dfordg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 54563
Drives: 98 LX, 3.0 Vulcan, AX4N, Upgraded rear brakes to disc. SHO sway bars
4 wheel disc brakes is an unknown quantity at this point

I see that the boot on the bottom pin is torn. This explains the stuck sliding pin.
Order a caliper with a bracket to solve both problems.
4 wheel disc brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 24956
Chapter: Northern
Drives: 1996 Ford Taurus SHO 3.4L V8
Trader Score: 1 reviews
caseitman is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are talking about the rubber hose, that is you "return" line, you can just replace it or is it just the connection between the hose and the caliper?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfordg View Post
I'm currently having some serious brakes problems. I've now opened up and had a look at the brakes on both the rear driver and passenger side. The biggest problem at the moment is, the rear passenger side wheel area is leaking brake fluid. I can't quite identify what the tubing/ brake line is where the leak is coming from. In my manuals/ diagrams, there's a brake fluid line that goes into the top of the caliper area, but the leak is coming from a different line that runs underneath. I've attached an image here. It's the tube/ line right in the center of the image.

Everything looks intact on the driver's side. I have pads to do a replacement but haven't been able to rotate the caliper on the passenger side to do the installation. The top caliper pin ("rear brake pin retainer") loosens easily, but the bottom one may be stuck/ seized.

If someone can identify what this component is that's leaking that'd be a start.
The piston on the rear caliper itself may be leaking. If i were you i would
get a replacement caliper. Once you unstick the stuck caliper pins,
Get some proper high temp pin lube and lube them up (make sure you do
the other side too) Most people with rear disks that have not had them
done in awhile probably have a least one stuck caliper pin

You will have fun with the emergency brake curly spring.
you will also need to get a caliper tool to screw in the caliper
(DONT push it in like a front caliper) The tool looks like a little open cube

If you really unsure whats leaking, get some good degreaser and spray
it down and wash it all off. Then drive it for awhile and look for th fresh
leaks
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

^+1 The area that's wet lends credence to a possible piston seal leak
"But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good."
~Oscar Wilde~

I'd rather be on my Wing
jag1959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 49083
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus Wagon-3.0 VULCAN that breaks constantly.
Huxley is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said, it could be the caliper, but it looks like it might be leaking where the rubber hose connects to the caliper itself or from the hose itself.

Whatever the case, just get a new caliper with a new bracket (they don't always come together, make certain to ask) and save yourself some headaches. Rebuilding/unseizing stuck brake parts is worthless IMO with the cheap cost of new parts, especially for these cars.

If you want to go the extra mile, grab a brake hose for that side too and install it. Don't forget to bleed the system when you're done!
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have at this point a used right rear brake caliper off of Ebay. Not sure if a used caliper was the best decision, but it seems to be in better shape than the caliper that is in the vehicle right now. Maybe I'll post a picture of it. I also have a pair of new rotors coming.

One problem that I'm experiencing right now is some ABS malfunction. It happens especially when the brake fluid is low. Something triggers the ABS at low speeds while coming to a stop, and I can end up losing control of the vehicle for several seconds. Actually, I'm not sure if the ABS was really ever working properly in the past two years, and I'd like to get a better understanding of what this ABS problem is. I guess there is an ABS sensor somewhere in the rear right wheel or brake system, which may be dirty. Is that about right? Is it a good idea to disable the ABS by pulling the fuse?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 85
crackhead has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to crackhead Send a message via Yahoo to crackhead

Don't bother with used brake parts. A Rebuilt A-1 CARDONE rear brake calipers with bracket (no pads) is $33. or no bracket but with new pics is $28.

Rebuilt front calipers are $21.

The prices are from Rockauto.com with out the 5% discount code.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 85
crackhead has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to crackhead Send a message via Yahoo to crackhead

You will need to have the ABS code read to determine what is the problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseitman View Post
If you are talking about the rubber hose, that is you "return" line, you can just replace it or is it just the connection between the hose and the caliper?

I believe that it's the parking cable, which goes through a hole in the caliper assembly. The connection between the hose and the caliper isn't in this image, it's further up toward the other caliper pin. One problem is, it's hard to engage these bolts and not too clear in the manuals about the correct sockets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement