Question 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 52299
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Sable GS 3.0 Vulcan Son's is a 1996 Taurus GL 3.0 Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
ramman01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question 2

1) gave a jump the other day and the other vehicle must have a serious short because as soon as the guy hooked up cables it killed my battery. Now with a dead battery of my own and it won't take a jump. But every time I've tried to start the wipers comeon, switch off. Is this an indicator of something like some imports?
2) now that there has been over $2K spent on repairs and an almost new cooling system, I want to tackle the vent issue (dipstick gets pushed up) on the trans. Mine has a pinched metal cap instead of rubber like the ones I've seen in topic searches. I take it that once I pry it off it's trash? Installing a rubber line after cleaning it out good enough or should I replace vent with new style?
ramman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Emeritus Staff Member

Member Number: 51308
Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Drives: .
The White Falcon is a splendid one to beholdThe White Falcon is a splendid one to behold

Were the jumper cables hooked up properly on both ends? Some cars (not the Taurus) require you to put the negative cable somewhere else under the hood...

See the details here.

But...it was so artistically done. Grand Admiral Thrawn.
That'll be the day! Jean-Luc Picard (TNG "Yesterday's Enterprise")
The White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 52804
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2005 SE 3.0 Vulcan powerplant.
cjjames23 is a jewel in the rough

The vehicle being jumped "should" have the ground placed on the block somewhere
cjjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I have had a battery/voltage issue I have had the 'wiper warning'
jag1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Guy on the other end might have switched the cables around creating a direct short. Make sure the guy on the other end know's what they're doing, otherwise do it yourself.

The reason you clip onto the block is to prevent any possible sparks created during the final connection from igniting the battery fumes (hydrogen) and causing an explosion. If someone attaches to the battery - instead of the block it won't cause any damage.

1) replace battery and see if it goes away

2) try to find an OEM vent cap from a junkyard to see if that fixes it
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

When I got out to check, he had it grounded to the metal radiator mount on his vehicle. He said it sparked a lot. (Grrr!) He wanted to try again with my truck since it had a bigger battery! No way. We put in a new battery without issue. I told him how to troubleshoot for a short and I did some checking and told him what to check and he got it fixed. I can't work due to disabilities and have no income so I called hoping he would help pay whatever the pro rated amount is on my battery but he's not returning my calls. No good deed goes unpunished! LOL! I wondered about the wipers. On a montero I had, all warning lights would come on if there was a problem with the charge circuit. I thought maybe it was something similar, but like my montero, it's not mentioned in any of the manuals. Thanks all.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

I may seem abrupt to the person I am helping but I always make the connections myself. BTW the exploding hydrogen thing is no joke, I had a college classmate with a tough luck scar from it.
jag1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

^+1 with jag. I'll always insist on doing the hookup myself if my car is involved. Whether it be on the giving or receiving end.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I figured he would have it hooked up right since I had shown him twice previously and reminded him again before I got in the car. It was right, just a combination of a serious short and bad battery in his vehicle. And I remember what it's like to have a battery blow up in your face! Wife is upset since we just got all that work done and she was able to drive it again just 3 weeks ago and now it's parked (again). Put the truck battery in but it's too big. On a side note, this site & you members are really helpful. Thanks for the replies. JimBob
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also, I'm glad it wasn't my truck. The alternator is regulated thru the pcm and the battery is a lot more expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.