Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Freeware scan tool software: FORScan

118K views 200 replies 51 participants last post by  Lisfin 
#1 ·
Found this Freeware on another forum that works with the ELM327 and OBDLink scan tools. Shows PCM, ABS, GEM, and RCM info for Fords and Mazda.

I found it very helpful. Check it out.

http://forscan.org/

#2 ·
Good info!!! Thanks

#3 ·
I just downloaded this and checked it out:

:zumbujump:

It gets two GIANT thumbs up from me!!!!

This is what you might call "game changing" software. It's free, yet provides almost all the functionality of the dealer scan tool, including functional tests! Did I mention it's free!!!

Data time resolution is amazing. Even with 12 things going at once it didn't seem to be slowing down. I could probably set it up and watch the individual fuel injector pulses if I wanted to.

The ability to scan codes from all the major modules at once and have people perform functional tests is going to greatly enhance diagnostic capabilities on this forum. The data logging seems to be very good, so people will easily be able to share their scan data.

The software layout is pretty good besides the fact that they don't label buttons. But you can easily figure things out with tooltips, so it's not a major problem once you learn what the icons mean.

I think I tried this software several years ago, but it was in it's infancy. In several years it's gone from forgettable to AMAZING, so I'm looking forward to where this will go in another few years!

Again, I'm looking forward to using this software almost exclusively in the future. Anyone with an ELM327 compatible scan tool should download it!

#4 ·
Lol it's like Christmas for Lee. I downloaded it but have yet to use it. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
It is able to pull pats codes. I could actually see where the dealership used the not programmed key before he programmed it. It also pulled a B1318 code which I guess means my car needs to sort of be driven as it's sat most of this week. I like how it gives a description of what the codes are. Its got dashboard features and makes obdwiz feel.... useful but not this good, as OBDwiz don't even pull "diagnostic test not complete". It makes scanXL with enhanced feel over complicated and way to expensive for what it is. It gets 5 stars from me.

#10 ·
If you want to try this out and don't know which scan tool to buy read this: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124...175602-guide-what-scan-tool-should-i-buy.html

FORScan will work with a cheap ELM327 scan tool, but I highly recommend getting a scan tool with a STN11xx chipset (like the OBDLink line of products) because the chip is much faster than the ELM and the latest 1170 version supports MS CAN on Ford/GM cars for even more diagnostic capabilities (e.g. the body/parking modules on newer CAN vehicles).

#11 ·
My question is what are some of these self tests that are listed. Mine listed Key on engine off, key on engine running, ABS on demand self test, GEM on demand self test, and RCM on demand self test. What do they do, when would I want to mess with them, and what would I expect to see?

#12 ·
Well, they're on-demand tests so you can test for some things immediately instead of going through drive cycles and pending codes. I ran them all on my car and they all passed. Here's a description of the PCM tests:

Key On Engine Off (KOEO) On-Demand Self-Test

The KOEO on-demand self-test is a functional test of the PCM carried out on-demand with the key on and the engine off. This test carries out checks on certain sensor and actuator circuits. A concern must be present at the time of testing for the KOEO self-test to detect the concern. When a concern is detected, a DTC is output on the data link at the end of the test as requested by the scan tool.

Key On Engine Running (KOER) On-Demand Self-Test
The KOER on-demand self-test is a functional test of the PCM carried out on-demand with the key on, the engine running and the vehicle stopped. A check of certain inputs and outputs is made during operating conditions and at a normal operating temperature. The brake pedal position, transmission control, and the power steering tests are part of the KOER on-demand self-test and must be carried out during this operation if applicable. These are described below. A concern must be present at the time of testing for the KOER on-demand self-test to detect the concern. When a concern is detected, a DTC is output on the data link at the end of the test as requested by the scan tool.

Same sort of thing with the other modules to see if there are any hard faults at the time of the test. For example, when I did the instrument cluster test on mine it did a gauge sweep, lit up all the lights, dinged, and beeped at me.

It doesn't hurt anything to try them, but you might want to use them as a quick test after making a replacement or repair to a module or emissions component (remember these tests are aimed at helping dealer techs). For example if you had to replace the ABS module you might run a test on it to make sure it's working and communicating properly. Or if you did an engine or transmission swap you might run the tests to make sure you got everything plugged in correctly rather than having the CEL come on down the road.

#13 ·
I would LOVE to buy the OBDLink Bluetooth scan-tool on Amazon, But $250 is quite rich for my blood.
I have the $24 BAFX Bluetooth scanner off Amazon, It works well with Torque.
Do they put the better chip in cheaper scanner's?
Gonna try this software with my current setup in the morning.
If this company ever implemented PATS programming, I'd pay for it.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a Mac with Windows on it too!

You can also get a cheap ELM327 (or expensive one) and put an MS-CAN switch in it (I sell them!) to read codes over the MSCAN bus for 2004+ cars.

#21 ·
Slight OT here, but have a question for the those with more scanning software knowledge as there is certainly a few of you and I trust many of your opinions here.

I love this software for my Fords, but was wondering if anyone knew or used a similar software package for GM, in particular Saturn that has similar advanced tests.

Thanks for your time.

#25 · (Edited)
I'm going to have to try this now........

I've had the brake light on my car cince I bought it(and the ABS light is burned out so I'm sure that's on as well). Yesterday I turned on my car and actually saw no brake light, and saw the traction control wheel for the first time! ........... till I put it in gear and started backing out of my driveway. I need to diagnose this to see if it's just a stupid wheel sensor, or if it's the actual pump control that's bad.

So my question is.... I have an ELM327 v 1.5 mini, which I have been using with my phone and Torque.... would that ELM and FORScan allow me to read those ABS codes?? Obviosly yes I will have to get a bluetooth adapter for my laptop because it does not have bluetooth in it(though I am working on a laptop for someone that does have bluetooth I can use :rolleyes2: )If so, this is going to make me a very happy man! It would be nice to have ABS and traction control through the winter :)

#26 · (Edited)
I will check with my laptop and report back...

LE: It works perfectly with the same generic ELM327 V1.5 mini. First you need to add/pair the device in your Bluetooth Devices menu.
Torque is small child, this program is super evolved! Is the first time I saw the PATS, ABS, VIN...

This is at the level of ScanXL ($90) plus the Ford add-on package ($90) plus their 'special' Bluetooth scanner ($49 regular, is free now)!
PS: I found out that I have a fault in the PATS - the hood switch! That explains the rattling inside my hood that I heard for several years :) No reader saw that untill now!

#28 · (Edited)
Is it true that supposedly the ELM327 adaptors ver 1.5 have CAN capability built-in (without the switch and wires hack)?
I have no means to test it, my newest Ford is 2001 model (or 2000 per fabrication I guess).

Attachments

#30 ·
Anyone know if FORScan works with the Wifi version ELM327???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.