Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

A/C Compressor

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bull geek 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 Taurus SE Duratec 24V. The A/C compressor is leaking at the rear where the manifold bolts to it. I have taken in in for a few estimates, from 1,200 - 1,500. Not willing to drop that much on it. I'm going to roll the dice and buy one from PickNPull for $35.00. If I install it and it will hold a vacuum then great. My question is will a compressor from a 2000 work? everything I find so far indicates it will. Anyone been there done that?

Thanks

#2 ·
You can get a good rebuilt one from rockauto for 133.00, I'd recommend this, much less than the shop charges, probably more reliable than a J/Y one, too, if you can afford to and know how to do it yourself. I'd also recommend getting the electrical switch and relay, hoses, orifice tube and tube repair kit(need both) and A/C vacuum control valve. I got all that had a friend install all of it, for not a lot. works GREAT!!! All parts cost me about 200 bucks W/O compressor..you can find discount codes on this site, as well..
RockAuto Parts Catalog

#3 ·
If its leaking where the manifold bolts on, just replace the O rings that seal the manifold to the comp, evacuate, and recharge.

Reactions: Lgbpop
#5 ·
^+1 and some rep for Jeff. If you are certain the leak is at the connection for the compressor manifold, the O-rings are the first thing to check and replace. Make sure you coat them with compressor oil before putting into place.

Replacing the compressor, if it by itself isn't the cause of the leak, makes no sense to me. Replacing it with a junkyard unit whose seals are probably all dried out from lack of recent use makes even less sense. Spend a bit of time, and a bit of money to do the job right - you'll save a lot of money in the long run. If you have to evacuate and recharge the system twice, oh well.

#6 ·
^^^ word to Jeff, Automender, and Lgbpop.

And if you want to fix the compressor, get a reseal kit and do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined.

Replacing the compressor on a DOHC is not fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.