Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Throttle Cable Broken - 01 Taurus DOHC

15K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  behlinla 
#1 ·
On my way home from class the the engine revved up really high and was stuck like that, I threw it in N and got off the road and turned the key off. After taking a look, I found there is a little gray clip that the throttle cable goes into that is broken. I'm assuming I need to just replace the entire throttle cable?

I have found the Motorcraft part number, which is labeled Cable Assembly - Throttle Control, part number YF1Z9A758BA. My concern is whether or not this is only the cable, or if it will include the part with the broken clip.

Here are some pics of where it is broken. I had to put some duct tape on to make it home. The last picture is how the cable was when the engine got stuck revved up.

Thanks and Gig 'Em

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would imagine it would include the clip, the only way to know for sure would be to look at the diagram and see if there is a separate part number for the clip. But Im willing to bet that it's included with the cable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
FYI, that's the cruise control cable that's broken, not the accelerator linkage. Follow it back to the cruise servo to confirm. You can safely remove the whole thing if you don't use cruise control to prevent another incident.

Since it got stuck and created a safety concern, you should file a NHTSA report so we can get a recall for this issue (more reports will help). Report here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

#5 ·
I have disconnected the cruise control cable from the throttle. I stopped by the local Ford dealership, they confirmed that it is the Actuator Cable Adjuster. Now the problem is the parts department told me the computer is showing that there is not a single one available in the entire country. He said there might be aftermarket ones somewhere. Seems pretty absurd that a part that could be a big safety hazard is not available anywhere in the country.

#8 ·
Now the problem is the parts department told me the computer is showing that there is not a single one available in the entire country. He said there might be aftermarket ones somewhere. Seems pretty absurd that a part that could be a big safety hazard is not available anywhere in the country.
That's why we need that recall so Ford is forced to make new ones!

Junkyard is probably your best bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.