How to replace airbag in 1998 Ford Taurus - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 44015
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1998 Ford Taurus 3.0 V6
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
kfl989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to replace airbag in 1998 Ford Taurus

Hey guys. I got in an acceident awhile back and i need to replace the airbags and turn off my airbag light.

I have already purchased the airbags and i know exactly how to replace them. But my question is.

What else do i need to replace so that when install these bad boys so the airbags don't go off.

airbag sensor module? and RCM? is that all?

*note the seat belt tensors did not get ruined and they are fine.

Thanks in advance for the help!
kfl989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 49561
Chapter: Northern
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus SEL Comfort
it'sthatcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfl989 View Post
Airbag sensor module? and RCM? is that all?
*note the seat belt tensors did not get ruined and they are fine.
I'm not sure if it's the same sort of situation, but my friend's Milan was involved in a front-end accident resulting in airbag deployment. For his car to be repaired, he needed new seatbelt tensioners, new airbags, and a new airbag module. His airbag light is always on, as he has not replaced it. As I understand it, you need to replace the airbag module because once it tells the airbag to go off, it's sort of "dead" so to speak.

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
it'sthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, airbags, RCM, seat belts on any seat that was occupied during the crash, and pretensioners if they fired all need to be replaced. Note that you will have to look carefully at the pretensioners to see if they fired (the belt will still work fine after they've fired).

At any rate, you should be able to read the air bag codes to see what you need to fix.

*Seat belts stretch during a crash to absorb energy. Once they've been stretched out they won't do the same again in the next accident.
behlinla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I havent heard of the RCU i have heard of the RCM. If i dont fix the seat belts and just replace the RCU and the airbag module, will the airbag light still stay on?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Restraint Control Module (RCM) does not need replacement after an accident in a 96-07 Taurus. The Radio Control Unit (RCU) does not need replacement either.

It'd be nice to replace the seat belts, but it isn't 100% necessary, really depends on severity of the accident...I agree it'd be better if you can.

Your car does not have seat belt pretensioners. That came along in 2000.

So at minimum you just need to replace the air bags. Rehook up everything and see how what airbag codes you receive. You may receive some for the crash sensors up front.
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, I meant RCM instead of RCU. Won't you get a code 19 if you don't replace the RCM, Nick?

At any rate I like the idea of replacing the front air bags and seeing if you have any codes after that.
behlinla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^ For peace of mind, I'd replace the rcu too, lmao!
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Member Number: 42443
Drives: 2006 Taurus SE Vulcan 2005 Taurus SEL FFV
Trader Score: 5 reviews
TaurusDailyDriver is a name known to allTaurusDailyDriver is a name known to all

Here is a look at the pretensioners. Good is the right side, the bad is on the left. If you have any that look like the one on the left, they will NEED to be replaced.

Join Us at the 2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Our 2014 ROTB Meet Location! June 6-8! Contact Me For More Information!
TaurusDailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Geek View Post
Restraint Control Module (RCM) does not need replacement after an accident in a 96-07 Taurus. The Radio Control Unit (RCU) does not need replacement either.

It'd be nice to replace the seat belts, but it isn't 100% necessary, really depends on severity of the accident...I agree it'd be better if you can.

Your car does not have seat belt pretensioners. That came along in 2000.

So at minimum you just need to replace the air bags. Rehook up everything and see how what airbag codes you receive. You may receive some for the crash sensors up front.
I just wanna say you guys are absoultley awesome. I was searching the web for something related to my 1998 Taurus and this was the first thread that popped up. I hope that this will help other people with my same issue.

So! I found out that i dont have front impact sensor on my 1998 Taurus. They are on the 96-97 and the other models but not mine. I was going through my chiltons manual and found this.

Still very nervous about replacing my airbags and turning on the key. And just to clarify the RCU is the airbag diagnostic module under the dashboard?
Attached Thumbnails
How to replace airbag in 1998 Ford Taurus-img_0634.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know what the RCU is now and i know that the RCM is the module under the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement