Tax Season, aka Tire Season - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 41987
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1999 SE 3.0L 24v DOHC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
S3CKSHUN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
I've been happy with B.F. Goodrich Touring T.A.s from Sam's Club. Seems to be a good tire and priced right. They're on sale several times a year.
I work there

Intake silencer removed
Cold Air intake
K&N Panel Filter
Michelin Defenders
Monroe Quickstruts

COMING SOON:
SHO Spoiler
S3CKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fct View Post
There are some valuable reviews on tire rack, but I agree that a lot of reviews are garbage. The thing that makes me smile the most about TireRack tire reviews is how brand new tires types that have been out for just about a year suddenly jump to the top of rankings due to positive reviews. It cracks me up seeing people write "reviews" for a tire when they have used it for less than 3,000 miles. Guess what? Every brand new tire will result in a positive feedback if you drove just 1 to 5,000 miles on it! The way I read their reviews, is first filter the reviews to see only those that had over 40-50,000 miles on the tire. This results in far more thoughtful reviews.

Anyways, I can comment on two types of tires. If you want an affordable all around all season tire, take a look at Yokohama Avid tires. These have been out for a while and have excellent reviews. We have been using them on a Ford 500. No complaints. Very good price.

If you want a higher performance tire because you like being naughty, take a look at Continental ExtremeContant DWS. Who cares how fast you can drive? There are speed limits everywhere. What matter I think is the _grip_. These tires do have good grip IMO, and after 10,000 miles on my car they still look almost like new. I used to have previously Hankook Millages Plus II. Those were terrible. If you try to throw your car into a tight corner with them, chances are good that the car will understeer heavily. But with these DWS tires, the car almost feels like on rails. I did get the tires with the 225mm width, which is slightly oversized for a G3 with 16 inch G4 rims. (Tires rub slightly on U-turns).
I have avid trz's on my rear axle now with some generic garbage up front. I have no complaints whatsoever about the yoko's but, I cannot get them at my shop and they don't seem to live up to the mileage claims on my car at least.

Intake silencer removed
Cold Air intake
K&N Panel Filter
Michelin Defenders
Monroe Quickstruts

COMING SOON:
SHO Spoiler
Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Bad idea on a 14 year old Taurus. You're just going to burn through tires faster. Like I said, spend all this time and energy on the suspension instead of tire selection.
Ok, once agian.... I am getting the front suspension worked on BEFORE I get new tires. the rear has already been replaced with KYB's and I have no funny wear on my current tires that are on the rear.

The fronts however have all sorts of alignment issues, and I am aware that getting new tires will not fix the problem. This is why once I get my tax return I will be installing Monroe Quick Struts and fixing that tie rod.

Intake silencer removed
Cold Air intake
K&N Panel Filter
Michelin Defenders
Monroe Quickstruts

COMING SOON:
SHO Spoiler

Last edited by S3CKSHUN; 02-25-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member Number: 47403
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 SES
Bob R is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Michelin MXV4's from Bj's and I'll be replacing them this May with new Michelins. This set is at almost 90,000 miles and my gas mileage is 28 -30 highway...25 -27 around town with a Duratec. Rotated every 7,500 miles without fail. One front end alignment. Tires wore evenly all around.

I'll be getting the Michelin Primacy MXV4 this time. Probably the last set of tires this 225,000 + mile 2004 SES will see.
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement