fixing NSS and shifter issues. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 50925
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1995 ford taurus
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
sona1111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fixing NSS and shifter issues.

Hello, i have been here once before and made some progress on the problem. Please keep in mind that i am working on my uncles car and so i am not fully sure of what has been done or how it runs etc. Car is a 1995 taurus v6.

Basically i am down to the last problem, which is an intermittent no-start where the starter motor will not turn. I believe i have the problem down to the NSS. yesterday when the problem happened again, i adjusted the linkage that was on top of the tranny all the way to the left (standing in front of the car) to put it as far into the "park" position as possible, and then it started, so i am 99% sure the nss was causing the starter not to turn. (also, it seems to shift fine, but the N gear appears more to the right on the dash then it should be, like in the middle of N and D) Anyway he is rather old and is not going to be staying with me for very much longer, so their are two things i would like to do:

1)I would like to wire in a small bypass switch on the plug that goes to the nss, so that if he gets stuck again, he can open the hood and flip the switch to get started. The connector has 8 pins and i can take a picture if that would help. I am not sure if buying a new nss is worth it when it seems like the adjustment was the problem, but he does not have a cell phone or anything so i really don't want him to get stuck.

2) I have heard their are also two gold bolts somewhere behind the dash that can cause a loose shifter, so i would like to take a look in there to tighten them. how difficult is this? I have taken apart the dash on my 96 honda accord many times and its not that bad, but just checking.

thank you.
sona1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just replace the NSS? That should take care of the problem permanently.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

if that is a common problem, then I will look for one.

Do you have any suggestions on where i could buy one?

car only has about 70k by the way.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 52362
Drives: 1998 Windstar 3.0 U Vin
las59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sona1111 View Post
if that is a common problem, then I will look for one.

Do you have any suggestions on where i could buy one?

car only has about 70k by the way.
Any auto parts store: Napa, O'Rielys, Carquest Ford dealership
las59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, fairly common problem, easy to fix. Make sure you align the new one properly (replace in neutral).
Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

To follow up on this, he said it was great for a while, then once he had a similar issue. Because I already replaced the NSS, he said that instead of wiggling the shifter or anything, he just turned the key multiple times and eventually it started up. I guess the NSS was part of the problem, but not all of it.

I was thinking for it to not work a few times and then start, maybe one of the relays is sticky? Would this be a relay I could replace or is that the same thing as the solenoid? He said the starter was replaced at least three times, but I am not sure if that would include the solenoid or not.

sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought the short history might be relevant.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the starter relay or power to it. Next time it happens pop open the power distribution box and swap blower motor relay for it to do a quick check.
jag1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Solenoid is part of the starter assembly and would be replaced. Relay in the relay box would not be. However, usually the problem is with the ignition switch if wiggling works.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Switch continuity test chart is wrong in Haynes & Chiltons. Check for correct voltages in AND out. You can have continuity but still not have voltage/current.
jag1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

He said the ignition was replaced a few times too.

Does anyone know the part number for the relay or where I can buy it? I want to have something ready for when I go see him.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement