New IAC Valve causes cold idle problems: High RPM, Stalling, Slow Deceleration - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 18476
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
canaws has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default New IAC Valve causes cold idle problems: High RPM, Stalling, Slow Deceleration

I have a 2002 Taurus w/ a Vulcan Fuel Flex Engine, SOHV.

My car has had rough idling problems for quite a while, so I thought it might help to look for vacuum leaks, change the IAC valve, and clean the MAF sensor.

I went for the IAC valve first. I bought this one (BWD 21067 from O'Reilly). After putting it on I noticed that the car was having trouble when trying to stop. When I pushed the break it would surge when getting closed to stopping before finally stopping. If I am going 35/40+ I can hear it sort of over rev up and it seems to hesitate slowing down when I first push the break. Also, on a cold morning when I put the car in park the RPMs revved high, stayed high, and the engine cut off when trying to park. It started back up fine though.

I thought it might be a bad part, so I exchanged it. The new one hasn't caused the car to cut off, but it's still having the same problems and it seems to be worse (if not only) when it's cold. At this point I'm probably just going to stick my old one back on and see if that solves it.

Any idea what would cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Did you look for vacuum leaks yet? Did you install a gasket with the new IAC? The gasket must the same type as the original to function correctly.

When you got the IAC, did you confirm it was the correct part number and looked exactly the same as the old one?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 52723
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2001 3.0 V6 SEL
jwagers1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having this problem too. Correct part, came with correct gasket. I am wondering if I loosened something while I changed the IAC valve? Threw a code that the IAC valve was still causing problems. Ugh...also going to check for any other vaccume leaks.
Also, going to replace the PCV valve. I have read in several places that a disfunctional PCV valve can send IAC valve problem codes.

Last edited by jwagers1984; 02-15-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 49635
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus, 3.0L V6 Vulcan
noluck4 is infamous around these parts

I wonder if this has been solved yet. Did you disconnect the battery and allow for the car to relearn idle? There is a very good fast write up here. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1358165-post4.html

Assuming that you did, I would check the PCV and if that don't help-clean the throttle body and check the cables. And check for vacuume leaks.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't like to leave posts unsolved if I can help it (for future googlers). In the end, I end up putting my old one back on and that worked out fine. I was just trying to change it as a preventative measure anyway. Either I got two bad parts in a row or that part is not really meant for the Taurus, no matter what it says.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow 7 months later, but never too late . Thanks for making the thread useful. The after market IAC's have become a known issue. There may be a dozen threads about it on this forum alone. I went through a couple under warranty before I went Motorcraft. Are you sure you didn't update so you wouldn't get jobbed when you started a new thread?

Ignition Stuck On

Last edited by jag1959; 09-14-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Naw! I figure better late than never. Whenever I make a new post on a help board I try to check up on my old posts to make sure I updated it with whatever solution I went with. There's nothing worse than finding a post online with your exact problem and then never figuring out what happened! It's torture.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 67242
Drives: 1999 SE DOHC V6, daily driver
ronnocoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the follow-up post. I replaced my IAC with an aftermarket one and my original high-idle problem went away but now I have hard shifting at low speeds and a slightly high idle at times. I'll try a Motocraft unit since aftermarket are unreliable. Is there a forum for identifying "known problems" like this? Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had any luck with any non Motorcraft IAC on any Ford.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Old 11-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 44048
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Sable LS, DOHC Royal Blue Muscle
Trader Score: 1 reviews
mercman has a spectacular aura about

When I changed my IAC with a Duralast one, my car went haywire, so I returned it and got one from Advanced, which seemed to do better but still didn't idle proper. After further checks I found the PCV elbow had collapsed because it was worn. The new PCV elbows (under IAC) are ribbed for extra strength. I ended getting motorcraft PCV elbow and PCV Valve and line from Rock Auto. The car never had an issue again.

Heads Up.

Last edited by mercman; 11-14-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread