A/C compressor kicks in when heat is turned on, why? - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 11699
Drives: 2003 SES DOHC *** 2004 Sable DOHC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
rdanville has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I pull the fuse on mine during the cold months. I don't run my home AC periodically so why should I run the car AC periodically? Never had a problem. Usually about April 1st I put the fuse back in.
rdanville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I don't care at all. I let it do what it wants, if it doesn't work correctly, than I fix it. It doesn't bother me, it has no impact on how I drive, it isn't really noticeable. The gas savings from not running it would be negligible. Besides, cars get far worse fuel economy during colder months anyway. If you were trying to race someone, then it might matter.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 51426
Chapter: Northern
Drives: 2006 Taurus SE 3.0 2003 Taurus SES 3.0
Tom S will become famous soon enough

I find the AC compressor needlessly kicking in an out to be annoying. I also am not convinced or the merits of it drying the air unless that becomes an issue in warm damp climates like down south.
1988 Taurus 3.0 retired
1996 F-250 Powerstroke 75k lots of mods like new
2009 Impala LTZ 3.9 12k
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I find the AC compressor needlessly kicking in an out to be annoying. I also am not convinced or the merits of it drying the air unless that becomes an issue in warm damp climates like down south.
Personally, I find it helpful. I live in a cold area and when the car finally gets warm, the moisture in the air wants to condense on the windows, because they are cold. If the A/C is working, the moisture will condense on the evaporator core as it passes through the HVAC system in the dash, it's a pretty simple solution. My A/C works great otherwise, I think KhanTyranitar has a great point, if you don't run it for months at a time then you might find that it doesn't work so well when you actually need it.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
I read somewhere on this forum that the A/C doesn't run below a certain outside temp when in defrost. As far as having to have dry air to defog a window....that's a bunch of BS. I've been driving since 1965 when there was no AC hooked to the defrost position on cars then and the window stayed just a clear and cleared just as quick as today with "dry air".

I've also driven cars with no A/C and there is a difference. It really comes in handy when it's raining and humid and the windows are rolled up. In winter I find it helps, and A/C will run below freezing. It's been -15 Celcius here and my A/C kicks on and off.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N GONE, RIP
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdanville View Post
I pull the fuse on mine during the cold months. I don't run my home AC periodically so why should I run the car AC periodically? Never had a problem. Usually about April 1st I put the fuse back in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Better one - read the owner manual. You will find that putting the knob on "VENT" or "LOW" positions provides just heating, without the A/C function. No need to dis-assembly the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
As far as having to have dry air to defog a window....that's a bunch of BS. I've been driving since 1965 when there was no AC hooked to the defrost position on cars then and the window stayed just a clear and cleared just as quick as today with "dry air".
That's because you live... where you live. If you would have 80-100% humidity in the mornings, with temperatures below dew point, you would think differently.
All the modern cars do this de-humidification - Hyundai, Toyota... you name it.

Last edited by SoNic67; 03-06-2013 at 06:40 AM.
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.