Quick questions. Doing camshaft synchronizer replacement. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51065
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Mercury Sable GS
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
runfrombears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick questions. Doing camshaft synchronizer replacement.

My mercury 2002 Sable vulcan must be a little different because my wire harness that sits just above the camshaft sensor is surrounded by hard plastic that does not allow me to bend or move the wires. I actually just completely shattered and broke this shell off in order to get access.

My questions:

1. I removed the cam shaft sensor and now have full access to the synchronizer. Is there another bolt that must be loosened or will the synchronizer just pop out? Should I use some pliers to yank it out?

2. Now that my wires will be exposed to heat since I broke this plastic shell off. What sort of tape can I get as a replacement to protect all these wires from the heat?

Thanks, this would have been an easy job had my car not had those bloody wire protectors above. I had to remove the throttle the air flow, the whole shabang because of this crap. Where I could have just move the wires out of the way and plopped her back in...sigh who designs things like this?

Thanks so much!
runfrombears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 33869
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE 3.0 OHV Vulcan
Trader Score: 1 reviews
downhill is on a distinguished road

The syncro will pull straight up. Soak with a little spray lube around the place where it is in the block. Mark and replace in the same position. You could get a new wire loom at the Junk Yard. Also they make insulation you can wrap around the wires in question.
downhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you removed the syncro hold down bolt? Look down where the syncro goes into the engine for the bolt.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
I assume you removed the syncro hold down bolt? Look down where the syncro goes into the engine for the bolt.
The only bolt I saw was some sort of hex type.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhill View Post
The syncro will pull straight up. Soak with a little spray lube around the place where it is in the block. Mark and replace in the same position. You could get a new wire loom at the Junk Yard. Also they make insulation you can wrap around the wires in question.
Thanks, theres no way I'm going to try to install that plastic thing. It's half broken because I couldn't figure out how to remove it, let alone install it. I'll just use a bunch of insulation and tape.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

So I got the old one out, and the new one in, but I am having trouble! Please bear with me , I am a total novice.

I am trying hard to get it back into the original position but the teeth on the gears only allow for so much precision. Please take a look at these images. One of the original, and 2 options that the teeth let me have. I can not get it to go back to the same place no matter how many times I try, the teeth just won't allow it. Could have something moved?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Did you turn the engine at all between removal of the old one and insertion of the new one? Are you using the Motorcraft replacement part or a cheaper Dorman or Cardone part?

If you got lost, then you'll have to turn the engine to an index point (such as TDC-C #1) and use an alignment tool or other method. Here's one method: replace Camshaft synchronizer failed
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Did you turn the engine at all between removal of the old one and insertion of the new one? Are you using the Motorcraft replacement part or a cheaper Dorman or Cardone part?

If you got lost, then you'll have to turn the engine to an index point (such as TDC-C #1) and use an alignment tool or other method. Here's one method: replace Camshaft synchronizer failed
Thanks for the response. Car hasn't moved, yes it is motorcraft part. I assure you I won't be bringing anything to top dead center. I can barely do this simple job, let alone figuring out TDC?

I will try some more tomorrow, already tried 10 times putting it in and out without any success. Keep in mind that you people are my only hope for this as, I do not take a $500 car to a mechanic

Thanks to these forums and youtube I was able to get this far. That is saying something since I am a clumsy buffoon.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrombears View Post
Car hasn't moved, yes it is motorcraft part.
Just to confirm the engine hadn't been cranked or started either, correct?

If you can't find another tooth in between A and B, then your best bet is try the method used in my link.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Just to confirm the engine hadn't been cranked or started either, correct?

If you can't find another tooth in between A and B, then your best bet is try the method used in my link.
That is correct, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.