Question about power steering fluid - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 42637
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: Mazda Protege 00 use to drive 96 Taurus OHV
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
peterf1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i changed my ps fluid last year june and used prestone power steering fluid and haven't had any problems and this on a 96 taurus ohv with 267,000 miles with the stock power steering pump.
peterf1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
fct has a spectacular aura about

The 1999 owner manual recommend Mercon ATF, and later Ford announced that Mercon V ATF replaced Mercon in all previous applications. I put Mercon V in mine. I usually freshen power steering a few times once a year, using a fish tank hose to extract the old fluid. This is kind of a pain considering the power steering container holds just about 1/5th of a quart of fluid.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterf1992 View Post
well i changed my ps fluid last year june and used prestone power steering fluid and haven't had any problems and this on a 96 taurus ohv with 267,000 miles with the stock power steering pump.
When you will have to replace the pump or/and steering rack you will realize how expensive is this experiment.

PS: I don't get why some people don't read the owner manual before changing the fluids. Mercon ATF cost is the same as the generic Prestone PS fluid.
Why they still have PS fluid on shelf? Because other cars use it - like my wife's 2000 Hyundai Sonata.

Last edited by SoNic67; 01-24-2013 at 11:19 AM.
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^ +1000

Get that PS fluid stuff completely out of there ASAP and replace it with the specified Mercon V. Having a shop replace the rack and pump due to using the wrong fluid will cost HUGE $$$$$$.

The owners manual: The little book that everyone has and no one reads.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member Number: 7909
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 01 Sable GS, 3.0 Vulcan vin U, 63K
Kestas is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you guys are overreacting. I'm guessing the vehicle specifies Mercon, as it does for my 2001 model, and not Mercon V. I'm also guessing the reason for that is because that fluid is what is available on the dealer shelf without having to stock extra or special fluids. This is how companies think. I doubt the system is that sensitive to fluid type.

Last edited by Kestas; 01-25-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Kestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Fwiw, all fluid applications that once called for mercon/dexron3 atf have been backspec'd to use mercon v atf. Does not incude the old Ford type F atf applications.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member Number: 47151
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2000 SEL
SloppyJalopey is on a distinguished road

Mercon V was engineered to mix with and replace Mercon.

2002 Ford Taurus LX - Trans Failure at 350 000 KM

2000 Ford Taurus SEL - DD 260 xxx KM
SloppyJalopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

There is still Mercon on shelves, that is not an issue if you don't want to use the better Mercon V:
Castrol Domestic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 qt: Automotive : Walmart.com
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
fct has a spectacular aura about

Walmart also introduced its own brand of Mercon V fluid. It's called Supertech Mercon V. It's probably the cheapest Mercon V fluid available. I wouldn't put it down considering W-M Supertech is just a rebranded fluid made by major refiners, such as Exxon/Mobil. This is what I'd use as PS fluid, maybe for ATF application too (but I have a case of Motorcraft sitting on a shelf).
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member Number: 32868
Drives: 1994 Taurus GL sedan, 3.8L Essex engine, AX4S transmission, 165,000 miles
JohnSawyer has a spectacular aura about

As I understand it (based on reading various online threads for the past couple years, mostly here on taurusclub--someone correct me if I'm wrong), a few (or just a couple?) years ago, Ford finally decided that Mercon V was OK to use even in Taurus Gen 1 and Gen 2 transmissions that originally called for Type F. Because of this change in recommendation on ATF, I assume (?) that Mercon V is also OK to use as power steering fluid in these older Tauruses, even though Ford originally spec'd Type F for their power steering fluid too. The original dire warnings from Ford about using Mercon V in their older, formerly Type F-only transmissions, were apparently due to some of these older transmissions failing after people put Mercon V into them, but these transmissions were old enough to have problems that were the actual causes for their failure, rather than the Mercon V. Also, some fluid changing outfits were using the "power flush" technique which some older transmissions can't handle.

So instead of using a power flush (with any ATF, not just Mercon V), the recommendation here has been to do the simpler pumpout approach using the car's ATF pump, directing the output of the pump into a container, starting up the engine, and quickly pouring new ATF into the fill tube until just that new fluid comes out, making sure to keep up with the fluid pumpout rate so that the transmission doesn't go dry during the process. I did this a couple years ago, though I refilled with a new synthetic Dexron III/Mercon (made by Eneos) instead of Mercon V just because I wanted to see how the Eneos would behave in my 1994's AX4S--I was hoping it might improve acceleration and reduce some clunking the transmission had been doing for some time. It did improve these problems, but not as much as I wanted, so I poured in some Lucas Transmission Fix a while later to see if that would help further, but that stuff is so thick that it made the symptoms much worse. To try to fix the worsened symptoms, I pumped out three quarts of that mess and replaced it with Mobil 1 Multi-Purpose ATF (spec'd for Dexron III/Mercon/Mercon V use), which improved the symptoms almost back to the pre-Lucas state, but soon I'll be replacing the remaining Lucas-infected Eneos with nothing but Mercon V, and I'll probably be fine.

Last edited by JohnSawyer; 02-08-2013 at 02:56 AM.
JohnSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement