coolant problem - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 50619
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 99' 3.0
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
noblebrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default coolant problem

99' 3.0
as winter started here in PA I had to replace the coolant assembly that sits on the firewall due to severe rust. Now I appear to have a leak at the reservoir. Im thinking that its coming from the pressurized cap. When I turn off the car I can actually here what sounds like a boiling water sound from the engine if its hot enough. The temp gauge will suddenly jump from nothing to normal temp after I've been driving it for 10-15 mins. I'm wondering if I either have air in the system, a bad cap, a bad thermostat or a bad head gasket. Are there any other possibilities and how should I go about eliminating them while troubleshooting this problem?

Last edited by noblebrown; 01-21-2013 at 11:28 AM.
noblebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 42637
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: Mazda Protege 00 use to drive 96 Taurus OHV
peterf1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

most likely the reservoir they are well known to leak
peterf1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblebrown View Post
99' 3.0
as winter started here in PA I had to replace the coolant assembly that sits on the firewall due to severe rust. Now I appear to have a leak at the reservoir. Im thinking that its coming from the pressurized cap. When I turn off the car I can actually here what sounds like a boiling water sound from the engine if its hot enough. The temp gauge will suddenly jump from nothing to normal temp after I've been driving it for 10-15 mins. I'm wondering if I either have air in the system, a bad cap, a bad thermostat or a bad head gasket. Are there any other possibilities and how should I go about eliminating them while troubleshooting this problem?
Take the degass tank off and carefully inspect the bottom for cracks.
If you have any, replace it along with a new cap.
Put a new motorcraft stat on while your at it,

If your lucky,you don't have a head gasket going bad.

If the car is high mileage, a water pump replacement is not a
bad idea either
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a jewel in the rough

Buy the degas tank and cap from Ford because the aftermarket tanks have quality problems. I also have heard the threads on the aftermarket tanks won't hold the cap on right. You may not see open cracks but look close and you will see lines that are not supposed to be there. I had the same issue on a 2001 Taurus, both the heater manifold and the tank. Also make sure the little upper hose from the bottle to the radiator is secure. Last week I was dripping a little coolant and I could pull that hose off both connections even with the spring clamps on.
Automender12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok thanks ill check into it and let you know what i find
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok so im kinda broke rite now but wanted to get a better idea of what was wrong so i removed the cap to the degas tank and ran the engine hoping to see something telling. i added a little bit of fluid to bring to the cold level where it should be before turning on the car btw. I watched the fluid level stay steady with no movement for a few minutes and then the level began to rise (meaning the thermostat and water pump are working, right?). after another few minutes an air bubble or two popped up. i turned off the car thinking it might overflow soon. replaced the cap and ran the car at idle for about ten minutes or so. no leakage that i could notice. Considering the bubbles that I saw I checked around the headers to see if anything was leaking. nothing. no water in the oil or billowing blue or white smoke. also it didnt overheat, but like i said it was only idling. when I worked on the coolant system just recently I replaced the whole assembly at the heater core (just the hose assembly) and I dont believe I "burped" it properly. Does this sound like my likely problem considering the observations i mentioned earlier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement