Where is the schrader valve and/or fuel rail on Vulcan - Page 4 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^ Rubber mallet is best, lol!
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member Number: 52333
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Taurus VIN U, 3.0L Vulcan 12valve OHV
Trader Score: 0 reviews
georgestaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 14v + crossed fingers + rubber mallet == WORKED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^ Rubber mallet is best, lol!
Well it worked:

(a) Jump taurus to truck and let truck run awhile until 14V seen
(b) Remember to reconnect the inertial switch
(c) Have George (george's taurus) cycle the ignition several times while I bang on the tank
(d) Have George attempt to start the car..... Varoooooooommmm!!!!

I suppose Automender was right... thanks big time!! George is now convinced I'm some sort of certified mechanic thingy.

Big Thanks to all for help! With the next task the head gasket and possible lifter job, I will be tinkering around here a little more.

Big thanks!

Steph
georgestaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a jewel in the rough

"Love it when a plan comes together"

Let us know if the pump works when you try it again. You may need a new battery and look at your alternator output. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I would also add a half can of Seafoam to the gas tank. The gas filter if you haven't after running the seafoam should be changed.

By the way I never had a bad lifter. You may think about adding the other half a can of Seafoam to the oil if you have a ticking lifter. Not recommending it but, I once put a cup of kerosene in the oil and ran it only fifteen minutes because the lifter ticking stopped. That was on an old 1975 chevy straight six engine.

Last edited by Automender12345; 01-21-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Automender12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #34 (permalink)

Automender, there is water on the dipstick. George recalled the engine overheated 9 months ago, or whenever he stopped driving it. So an engine with water in the oil (I confirmed oil on the dipstick) could definitely contribute to a lack of lubrication in the lifters, and subsequent ticking noise. Next step is to examine the spark plugs. And I suppose to tear it down and look at the heads. Then make a decision on getting a used engine.

Perhaps changing the oil before tearing the engine apart, just to see what effect on ticking noise there is. Three people have put an ear to it and all said they thought it was a lifter.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it is too good to be true. Unless Automender is involved

Steph
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

The pump did work when we started it again a couple of hours later. And without the helpful jump. I think we're going to cycle the ignition switch several times over the next few days. Won't attempt to start until engine oil is changed. Very milky now...
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you have some issues there. I once had an S10 Blazer that had a bad intake manifold gasket and it sucked in two to three gallons of coolant. The was standing coolant in the old style air cleaner which got there from coolant boiling off in the oil and venting out the PCV valve and condensing in the air cleaner. After I fixed the gasket the engine ran an other 100K miles. I guess what I am saying that water in the oil didn't hurt me. The issue I see is that you let it sit for 8 months which could really rust the inside.

It seems like you got the right team there to get the job done. Take a lot of digital pictures to help you get it back together. If you do the gasket just remember the head bolts are a torque to yield bolt which has a special way to tighten them it is more counting degrees of rotation after you torque to a predetermined torque.
Automender12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement