Bad Dealer AC Repair- What would you do? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 28699
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
tom234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Bad Dealer AC Repair- What would you do?

Hello and thanks for reading- I’ve been here a few times for solutions to mechanical problems on my 2 Tauruses (1997 and now 2000, wagons). I did make brief mention of this problem before and was told that AC repairs don’t happen the way mine did. 100,000 miles, never any AC problems, and then this: I believe I was had by poor service, a poor car, or ripped off; I can’t prove which. Last year my entire AC was replaced piece by piece- I’m not kidding, every part but the on off switches. (Kennedy Ford in PA 19428) Started with the compressor, then accumulator, then o-ring and manifold line, then condenser. I switched to a local service station at the end and then replaced evaporator, which mechanic said was probably the problem all along given the amount of encrusted dye.
The dealership policy is to call after repairs to be sure you are satisfied, and I expressed my dissatisfaction after the condenser, very clearly. Although the young women promised to call back, no return call was ever made. I wrote a letter to the Ford Customer Service Division (Dearborn, MI) explaining the situation in detail, and got a letter saying my letter was forwarded to the appropriate regional office. The letter also said the office would contact me “only if they require additional information”. That was back in September. I wrote another letter in December explaining I had heard nothing, and to be direct, what I wanted was a refund of $1,105 labor, and I’d pay for the parts (another $1,230). [total was $3,400]. So, as you might guess, I have heard nothing. My QUESTION is, what would you do? I am not going to walk into the place and start threatening the rep or otherwise make a scene. BBB and PA Consumer affairs are options. My objective is to get back some money, and if not, cause them some discomfort as they caused me. What would you do?
tom234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a jewel in the rough

They may have done it for a full warranty of the compressor:

MOTORCRAFT Warranty Information
12 months/12000 miles. IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: To effectively restore an air conditioning system after compressor failure or other system contamination, in addition to compressor replacement, the following should also be completed: 1) Replace the accumulator/receiver drier. 2) Replace the expansion valve. 3) Replace the hose assemblies that contain the muffler. 4) Perform a complete system flush and install an in-line pancake filter (YF-2575). 5) Replace the condenser (on vehicles built prior to 1995). In the event that subsequent compressor warranty reimbursement is requested, supporting documentation that indicates the above was completed may be required to maintain the warranty coverage on the Motorcraft® compressor.
Automender12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has a brilliant futuresousa632 has a brilliant futuresousa632 has a brilliant future

I'd find out who the regional supervisor is and get in touch with them(phone calls). If you get a hold of them explain that if this is not corrected, you will be in contact with the BBB and your local news media. Dealerships have a hard enough time selling stuff, they wouldnt want the negative press.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
+1

I hate it when crap like this happens. I've never had problems with dealers screwing me over or overcharging me. However my grandpa did have the dealer replace a seat belt retractor that did not fix the problem. They replaced it again a month later and charged him for both.

For big repairs like that don't go to a dealer if you can help it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a jewel in the rough

Make sure you get the evaporator from the second mechanic to show the rep.
Automender12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 29661
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES Duratec
rjacket has a spectacular aura about

Did you approve the work at every turn or was it a surprise to you when you received the bill?

In any case, dealers suck. I've stayed away from them for years. They do more wrong than right, they make up work for warranty purposes and in my case their neglect almost killed my family.

And at the end, they'll never apologise because they have your money and that's all they are about. Don't expect Ford to help you out. The only language they'll understand is money.
rjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has a brilliant futuresousa632 has a brilliant futuresousa632 has a brilliant future

Regardless of what happened, you paid money(a LOT of it) to have a repair done which did not correct the problem. A good mechanic who put dye in the system would have been able to find the problem the first time and repair it correctly. Throwing parts at the problem at the owners expense is unacceptable and inexcusable.

I had a similar problem with an Altima that I owned. It was covered under warranty and I had gone to the dealer to fix a vibration problem(which I told them had to be due to the tires) they replaced a TON of things, including the whole transmission, to 'resolve' the problem. I must have had it there 5 or 6 times. I complained to the regional supervisor and told him to replace the tires free of charge as I only had the car for like 5K miles from their lot. What do you know ...... it fixed the problem. But what did I know, cause I'm not a mechanic by trade. The only nice thing was I had almost a new car by the time they were done with it
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 28699
tom234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Response by TOM234 so far

I’ll answer some questions and comment- When the compressor was replaced at first, my understanding was THAT was the problem and it would be fixed. Then, a month later as the system failed again and I brought it in, they said, “well then, it must then be either this or that, and we’ll give you a break and let you try either one you want, but if this doesn’t work we’ll have to do that”. Nothing worked.
(I got the evaporator later, lots of dye). I got a letter from Ford today too, an unexpected response to my Dec. letter, stating that “Your concern is a workmanship issue and since each dealership is independently owned and operated, Ford Mo Co does not intervene in workmanship concerns”. They then recommend my contacting the service rep. Well, the sevice rep has not contacted me despite knowing I’m very unhappy and exactly where I stand. But Ford here, IS saying, it is not the car. So that’s interesting. I’m just so tired of this. Should I go the BBB or PA Consumer Affairs routes, or just lick my wounds and give up, maybe write some on-line reports? I did like the car, but my wife now forbids the buying of any more Fords. She took the $3400 personal.
tom234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 52330
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 Vin U
BritFord is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that its the dealership that causes the problems, i know that a dealership near me will not go buy the warranty, on the new cars, i would more likely contact the news and have them put a story up about it, because in their guide lines states that they are responsible if it doesnt work
BritFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement