Need some advice. Got hit....*roughly* how much to fix/to do myself? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 50813
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus 24v DOHC 3.0L
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
ifeightner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some advice. Got hit....*roughly* how much to fix/to do myself?

In a nutshell....Got my 2001 Taurus, love it to pieces. 2 months later, some idiot kid runs a red light, and thankfully I reacted fast enough to almost avoid a direct hit to my drivers side door. But he smashed into my rear panels. See the attached pics.
Basically, he has no insurance, and the insurance of the car owner is refusing to pay. My insurance also will not, as I have no collision insurance. So I was forced to get it fixed. I had to get new struts, stabilizers, etc. Now for the body work.
About how much would it cost for me to get this stuff fixed? I don't know about body work at all, and don't want to get ripped off at a body shop (If anyone is around Cleveland and knows of a good body shop, please let me know).
What is this piece called? Can I buy some cheap? Any suggestions?
Also, there is damage to the inside of the trunk. Luckily the mach amp wasn't damaged in the process.
Thanks for any suggestions y'all

ifeightner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
W. Coast Chapter Pres.

Member Number: 51308
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2003 SES Deluxe in Spruce Green Metallic.
Trader Score: 0 reviews
The White Falcon is a name known to allThe White Falcon is a name known to all

The bumper shouldn't be hard to replace, the other piece (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the left rear quarter panel. Looking around, I see prices from $300-450 from eBay and other sites. A junkyard might be easier, but it's not the most simple thing in the world to remove. Factor in the labor...it could be a semi pricey fix if you were looking to replace everything.

I'm by no means an expert, but it doesn't look terrible, so you might be able to get it straightened. That would be cheaper.

See the details here: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-...es-deluxe.html

Got a topic finder issue, or want to suggest a thread for addition? PM me and I'll look at it.
The White Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a new bumper and then having someone push out the dents and repaint (optional?). Not an expert but maybe $500?

Last edited by behlinla; 01-16-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Incorrect info
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 50813
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus 24v DOHC 3.0L
Trader Score: 1 reviews
ifeightner is an unknown quantity at this point

What? No I think you misread. I have proper insurance. This is MY CAR. The other driver does not. I have all the insurance my state requires, with Geico. The person that hit me was the son of the policy holder on the vehicle that hit me, and they are denying coverage based on the fact that the son was not covered on the insurance. I am a lawful citizen and would never drive with a "loophole" thank you very much.
ifeightner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 51199
Drives: 2000 SES
illhurtya is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally would consult with an attorney and go after either the insurance company of the car owner or the car owner themself for damages. I've never heard of someone wrecking someone elses vehicle and the insurance company of the car owner claiming no responsiblity. The owner of the other vehicle is definitely responsible for all damages incurred, especially if the police report states as such.
illhurtya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 48633
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE V6 3.0 Liter 12Valve OHV Vulcan engine
q0987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeightner View Post
What? No I think you misread. I have proper insurance. This is MY CAR. The other driver does not. I have all the insurance my state requires, with Geico. The person that hit me was the son of the policy holder on the vehicle that hit me, and they are denying coverage based on the fact that the son was not covered on the insurance. I am a lawful citizen and would never drive with a "loophole" thank you very much.
Here is my understanding of the insurance policy, please double-check local insurance agents or legal exports and don't blame on me if I were wrong.

If the boy(son) has a valid driver license, then the insurance company of the policy holder will pay for the damage no matter whether or not the boy is covered or not. That's why people always say don't let others drive your car!
The insurance company will deny the coverage if the boy has no driver license.

If the policy holder denies to pay for the damage his son caused, then you can sue them in the small court and you only lose ~$150 if the court is in favor of the boy. Before going to the court, you must collect police report, photos, body shopper damage estimate, and etc to support your claims and you will get much chance to win.

But, but, if the guy has no money for the damage, then you are out of luck. It happens on me too so I know a little and hopefully it helps you. One owner of body shop told me "The law only protects bad guys!"

Good luck

Last edited by q0987; 01-16-2013 at 01:28 PM.
q0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 3934
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2002 SES Vulcan
willyum has a spectacular aura about

That's a tough fix, not something to bolt off bolt on.
Contact Judge Judy to see if she'll take your case.
Just to get my bumper repainted cost me $200. No matter what you do, the paint job has to be professional to make it right and it won't be cheap.
willyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeightner View Post
Sorry, I guess I did misread your OP. I edited my post.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 48633
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE V6 3.0 Liter 12Valve OHV Vulcan engine
q0987 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a much smaller dent under the driver's side door. It costs $1600 to fix it!!!
So I just simply leave it b/c the guy doesn't have money to pay for the cost and the court cannot force her to pay for it!!!.

Again "Law only protects bad guys!"
q0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Former Moderpony

Member Number: 7950
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES, pulled around by a vulcan
Dschinghis Kahn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by illhurtya View Post
I personally would consult with an attorney and go after either the insurance company of the car owner or the car owner themself for damages. I've never heard of someone wrecking someone elses vehicle and the insurance company of the car owner claiming no responsiblity. The owner of the other vehicle is definitely responsible for all damages incurred, especially if the police report states as such.
+1000

Lawyer up!

Dschinghis Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement