Small coolant leak - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 37321
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: I own a 1996 Black Taurus SHO
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
QuinnSHO is on a distinguished road
Default Small coolant leak

Some backstory, from the same area I had some PS fluid leak, it wasn't bad, but with winter it got bad until one of the clips holding the hose came right off, killing my steering for a day. I had that fixed, but when waking up to go check on it, I saw something else. Not bad at all, but a little bit of green coolant oozing out. I had 1-2 drops on the driveway, but thats too many for me. I took it down for a lil diagnosing, and they pressure tested. They said a small amount of pressure is being lost at the radiator (right in that area) but they said it is such a small problem I shouldn't worry.
So I'm not...somewhat. I dont want another random incident of a hose clip coming off or similar and she starts overheating. No thanks. Normally I'd be all against this, but as a tiny leak, would that autozone/oreiley/napa/generic stop leak radiator stuff be something to look into? The bottle is only a couple dollars, and its a small leak, but I have normally been all against stopping rather than fixing a problem. (As they said though, it isn't a problem)
Thoughts?

QuinnSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 540
zenriddles will become famous soon enough

Quinn -
There are two common coolant leaks on the V8 SHO that are not related to the radiator area.
Most common is the degasser tank gets cracks on the bottom side and leaks out, usually through the passenger's side front wheel well. They all seem to do it sooner or later with the original tank. Is your tank still the original black top tank?
Second leak is a real PITA. There is a plastic "Y" fitting between the heads, behind the power steering pump. It shouldn't be a plastic fitting. Plastic fittings break eventually, so does this little monster. When this leak pops up, it will put coolant into the valley between the cylinder heads. It can run out on the front of the engine or it can run out under the throttle body and down over the bell housing on the tranny.

Big question. WHERE is your leak?

Leak stopper = bad idea = clogged heater core

Eric Lehmann

Lots of V8 SHO's
zenriddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 37321
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: I own a 1996 Black Taurus SHO
QuinnSHO is on a distinguished road

Mine is the original black top. I heard about that, how they redesigned it Clear Top style. I had a clear on my 99.
I dont think this is that either. Though didn't you replace yours with a metal version?

This leak is right near the oil cooler. I was surprised to see it because power steering was leaking around there at 1st, got that taken care of, next day found some green on my bumper and driveway. Small little drip, I dont know if I should even worry, but I hate leaks.

Last edited by QuinnSHO; 01-17-2013 at 03:13 PM.
QuinnSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement