Starting issues, help please! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 52286
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2000
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
mavsfan0434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting issues, help please!

New to the forums, but I have already found valuable info here(damn cabin air filter), so thanks!

My new problem is on my 2000 Taurus. About 3-4 times now, the car will turnover and crank good, but it will not start. I recently replace the battery, connections to battery, and the starter(2 years ago). When you turn it over there is no clicking or grinding, it feels like normal, it just won't start. I have considered fuel pump, but don't have the tools to test it. Everytime so far, I hook up the jumper cables to the car and 2-3 minutes later it starts. But is this coincidence? Also a mechanic I know told me there is a little motor in the fuel pump, so the jump could be powering it just enough to work.

My mechanic friend of mine suggested this next time it happens...open the intake(butterfly is what he called it) and spray ether in there. If it starts, it's most likely the fuel pump. If not, then it's probably something else.

Any ideas, tricks, hints would be helpful. I'm not overly auto savy, but my dad is good and we can fix most things together.
mavsfan0434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Read the no-start sticky at the top maintenance/repair forum.

When you turn the key to on (not to start) see if you can hear the fuel pump prime. You may need a helper open the gas cap and listen. You will hear a mechanical pump noise. Do this 5 times in a row waiting 2 seconds between cycles. It should prime (and you will hear the noise) EVERY time you turn the key from off to on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
Read the no-start sticky at the top maintenance/repair forum.

When you turn the key to on (not to start) see if you can hear the fuel pump prime. You may need a helper open the gas cap and listen. You will hear a mechanical pump noise. Do this 5 times in a row waiting 2 seconds between cycles. It should prime (and you will hear the noise) EVERY time you turn the key from off to on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
So if I don't hear this noise every time, then that means my fuel pump is going out?

From the symptoms, any other things it could be?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan0434 View Post
So if I don't hear this noise every time, then that means my fuel pump is going out?
Yes!

Starting after a jump could indicate a battery problem, but it might just be a coincidence that the fuel pump is starting on the second try as you said.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

Also, after priming even a weak pump five times, there should be enough pressure to start the engine. I've narrowed down starting problems a few times this way. Not very scientific, but it works.

Someday, some hairy big-eared little alien is gonna steal that from me.
Lgbpop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

So, I tested the fuel pump in this mannor, and every single time you can hear it engaging. So I wonder if it could still be a sporadic fuel pump problem, or what direction to start looking in next.

Also, something to add into the fray. I've noticed over the last week or 2 of driving the car, that when I pull into the driveway/parking spot, and put the car in Park from Drive, the radio cuts off while shifting, and then starts up again when the car is in park. Do you think these 2 issues could be related in any way?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

The radio thing sounds like it might be the transmission range sensor (TRS) that detects what gear you're in. It will mute the radio when it detects you are in reverse. May or may not be normal.

I guess I would be focusing on the battery since jumpstarting was helping it. Get the battery load tested somewhere (preferably besides AutoZone).
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
The radio thing sounds like it might be the transmission range sensor (TRS) that detects what gear you're in. It will mute the radio when it detects you are in reverse. May or may not be normal.

I guess I would be focusing on the battery since jumpstarting was helping it. Get the battery load tested somewhere (preferably besides AutoZone).
I just replaced the battery less than 2 weeks ago, and it has happened once since replacing the battery, so I don't think it's that(would mean 2 bad batteries causing same issue)

As for the TRS, it's doing it in every gear and not just reverse, so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with that. I know they aren't too expensive, and not very hard to change.

I just wondered if there was any way those 2 issues could be related. I really don't feel like spending 100 bucks to have someone hook it up and see if the computer gives out any codes from the last time it wouldn't start, but I might be at that point. Local shop near me told me 90 to hook up and then diagnose.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

Sure sounds like the TRS failing.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus all OHVs
Automender12345 is a splendid one to beholdAutomender12345 is a splendid one to behold

It could be a sticking Idle Control Air Valve. Next time it won't start, slightly press the gass pedal to open the throttle plate. If it starts and if it dies when you fit the foot off the pedal it is most likely the ICA Valve.
Automender12345 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.