Parking brake questions Ford 2006 - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 50768
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 SEL
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
groze is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgbpop View Post
OP still hasn't answered the basic question, whether he's talking discs or drums. No sense in trying to give him a solution to a problem he won't describe.
I don't know whether it is the disc or drums, I am not a mechanic. At first I thought it was a parking brake problem, now after today I don't think it is. I had the parking brake off. I think may have something to do with the brakes. I do not know which tires are actually grabbing if any. I said when I back out the car something is grabbing the tire or tires. So far it only does this when going in reverse.

It could be something totally different then the brakes.

Basically when I back out, the car won't move to far & you can feel & hear something grabbing. What it is I have no idea. I just assumed it had something to do with the brakes. Again it only happens in reverse so far. Engaging the park brake makes the grabbing worse.

Last edited by groze; 01-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.
groze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

Look through the rear wheel spokes, if you see a shiny metal disc with what appears to be an oversized chunk of metal on it at around 10 o'clock (right side) or 2 o'clock (left side) you have discs. If you see uniform dull or rusty dull metal all around, that's the outside of a drum. If in doubt, take a photo or two and post them so we can help you determine.

Rear disc brake caliper mounting pins can develop rust spots that prevent the caliper from retracting. Brakes are the only stationary objects touching the wheels, so any grabbing will be brake-oriented; and since the parking brakes only are found on rear wheels, if the parking brake affects the problem - the problem is on the rear wheels. If you had a tranny problem, it would be affecting the front wheels.

Someday, some hairy big-eared little alien is gonna steal that from me.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus all OHVs
Automender12345 is a name known to allAutomender12345 is a name known to all

Brakes are not something to fool when you don't know if they are drum or disk. Take it to a brake shop and let them inspect for free and go from there.
Automender12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member Number: 50768
Drives: 2006 SEL
groze is an unknown quantity at this point

Lgbpop
I hope you are right, that it is just the rear brakes. I never had brakes fail or go bad that way. The way the previous cars brakes failed is they slowly then stop working.

All,
Once the rear brakes are fixed, Do I need to use the parking brake everywhere or just on an incline?

I am going to take it to a mechanic but can't get in for awhile. Ford Dealer is out of town. I hope it holds.
groze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

I am just making a guess, as educated as it may or may not be. Haven't seen it, obviously. However, it's logical based on your description - it doesn't rule out other possibilities.

You can do as you wish with your parking brake; I use mine almost all the time, but that's because my first car was a Corvair with automatic and that was the only way to keep the car from rolling. Good habit in my opinion.

Someday, some hairy big-eared little alien is gonna steal that from me.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus all OHVs
Automender12345 is a name known to allAutomender12345 is a name known to all

I guess it based on what you call those brakes. I was raised calling them "emergency brakes" and was taught by my father how to use them incase your hydraulic brakes failed. Maybe before the double master cylinders of today and the automatic transmissions. I never used them on a manual transmission. Now they call them "parking brakes" and I guess you use for parking.

Groze, you may want to learn how to use them if all your hydraulic brakes fail. If you step on the pedal without pulling up on the release handle you will lock them up.
Automender12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^ If rear drum set-up, may have a seized (frozen) wheel cylinder(s).
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Member Number: 42443
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE FFV
Trader Score: 7 reviews
TaurusDailyDriver is a name known to allTaurusDailyDriver is a name known to all

C'mon guys! Easy stuff! It is a 2006 SEL sedan! They ALL had Drums.

I use my parking brake very frequently. When you release it, which you're saying it doesn't release all the way... pay attention to the sound. Is it making a quick release sound, or does it sound rather unresponsive? It is hanging up somewhere which definitely has to do with lack of use from the previous owner and maybe even rust/corrosion depending on where you live. You are engaging it 100% correctly so that isn't an issue there.

Try this: Do a lot of repetitions to get it moving...just in park.. engage, release, repeat. And do this a few times and report back. I just think it is odd that in reverse it hangs up, but in drive it is fine!

2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L DOHC V6
2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L FFV OHV (The Beater)

2006 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L OHV V6 (Sold)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0L FFV OHV V6 (Sister's)
TaurusDailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusDailyDriver View Post
C'mon guys! Easy stuff! It is a 2006 SEL sedan! They ALL had Drums.
You're right. We all missed that one!

I would try actuating the parking brake. I would also drive the car in reverse and "pulse" the brake pedal a few times to actuate the adjusters. I would also check your brake fluid to see if it's low. You might have a leaking wheel cylinder that is causing things to stick inside the brakes. Or just let your mechanic figure it out.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget, wheel cylinders can seize and not leak a drop of fluid.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement