intermittent non-start but turns over fine - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 7197
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
gwald has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default intermittent non-start but turns over fine

2007 ford taurus, 50k miles

The car runs great, except that when starting, it randomly does not start on the first try. The engine turns over great, but it won't start. Usually, wait a couple of seconds and try again, it will start (sometimes it takes multiple tries). It can happen first time out or even after it's been driven. btw, it's a mild climate. This never happened in the past and possibly is getting worse.

I'm guessing that this isn't a new problem with taurus's :-)

Any advice is really appreciated!

thx,
rob
gwald is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

First I would check the battery. I know you probably don't think that's it, but its probably your problem.

If its not the batter my then you need a new starter most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Talking

thx Sam - You're right that I don't think it's the battery, mainly because it cranks so well. Do you think it could crank the engine really well but not start because of the battery?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Okay. Actually I misread your post the first time! Forget what I said.

So it cranks always, and cranks strong. It always Cranks though - not almost always, but always. Just making sure.

If that's the case it could be a fuel pump getting lazy and not building up pressure fast enough. Which could also mean the pressure drops when you turn the car off. Check the pressure before you start, and after you shut it off, monitor the pressure for a minute, then check it again after an hour. Unfortunatly for 2004+ you need a scan tool with the fuel pressure PID to check the pressure. You can use the application toque and a Bluetooth OBD-II adaptor, all under $20 if you or a friend has an android phone or tablet with Bluetooth.

When you cycle the key on (not to start but just to on, do this 5 times in a row), do you hear the fuel pump "prime"? You may need to have a helper listen with the gas cap off if you can't hear it inside the car. It should do it EVERY time you turn the key. If it doesn't it means its time for a new fuel pump!

With the motor running fuel pressure should be around 40psi, no less than 30. If the pressure drops to 0 quickly after turning off we need to figure out why. If the pressure doesn't get up above 40psi for More than 1 cycle of the key to on, it could mean you need a new fuel pump as well.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4

Last edited by Sam; 01-06-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 3408
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1997 3.0 OHV
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwald View Post
2007 ford taurus, 50k miles

The car runs great, except that when starting, it randomly does not start on the first try. The engine turns over great, but it won't start. Usually, wait a couple of seconds and try again, it will start (sometimes it takes multiple tries). It can happen first time out or even after it's been driven. btw, it's a mild climate. This never happened in the past and possibly is getting worse.

rob

Did you find a solution?
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thx for re-reading Sam! Yes always, always cranks great! That said, the scanner looks really really cool!. I have an old OBD2 tool for pulling codes, but nothing real-time. I didn't know that this BT OBD2 device existed. I like androids, so I've got one of those. I did a quick check and it looks like the BT plug-in is only in the UK. So What I'm really getting to is, do you (or anybody) have suggestions about the best place to buy one these?

Regarding the fuel pump, that was on my mind. I always forget to listen for it, plus I don't usually drive that car which makes it tougher, but that was on my mind. I didn't think about checking the pressure.

I replaced a pump on one of these and I didn't really appreciate the fact that I have to drop the tank - that's really ugly!

Thx for your help,
rob
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a list of adapters you can buy. There are plenty available. Bluetooth Adapters - Torque OBD2 Wiki

Yes, make sure you listen for that fuel pump sound so you can be sure the fuel pump is working.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Any of these work: ELM327 in Consumer Electronics | eBay

Yeah, you have to drop the tank to replace it unfortunately.... I've seen people cut holes in the body under the rear seats so they can get to it without dropping the tank haha!

It may just be a problem with it loosing pressure quickly after turning off, but that would offer up a whole different set of problems other than the fuel pump. If you start it up then turn it off, if you immediately crank it again will it fire right up EVERY time? My guess is since it sometimes fires right up that it's the fuel pump not priming every time.

How long did you crank it for before turning the key off then back on? Next time it happens, keep cranking, for up to 10 seconds. If it hasn't started by then just turn the key off. Just a thought. It's possible it will start when it builds up enough pressure.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4

Last edited by Sam; 01-06-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 44292
Drives: 2003 3.0 SES
DevsDad is an unknown quantity at this point

My symptoms were similar to yours and it turned out to be the idle air control valve.

$50 and simple
DevsDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Usually,
1. crank for a second or 2, no start
2. wait a few seconds, starts

I really like the IAC idea! (I hope that's it)

Anybody actually have experience with cutting through the bench panel to change the fuel pump? I would do it if it doesn't have any effect on the structure of the car. On my ranger, I removed the bed and that was a breeze!

Thx for the lists of OBD2 hardware.

rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.