Fuel Pump Assembly for 2002 Taurus - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 52108
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus SES
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Sansui is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pump Assembly for 2002 Taurus

I have a 2002 Taurus SES that won't start. It has new battery and starter from past year, and it cranks fine but won't start, which lead me to believe it's a fuel delivery problem. (I'm also not hearing the expected noise of the pump when key is in on position)

I had one place tell me it would be 800-1000 to replace the fuel pump assembly. Normally I just have the car fixed at whatever the cost needed, and most of the repairs I've had have been very economical - even the starter wasn't awful.

But 800 to 1000?! I decided to look for fuel pump assembly online but I've never bought parts online before. At a place called parts geek the most expensive fuel pump assembly option is only 250.

It seems like what I need is priced about 140. Standard fuel pump module assembly. I plan to buy this but anything I should know before buying it? I'm going with the whole assembly instead of just pump itself because of the age of the taurus. (Edit: sku I'm looking at is 5536-07005890)

How many hours should I expect to be billed to install it? I never complain about shop prices usually, but this time just shocked me.

Last edited by Sansui; 01-05-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Sansui is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Should be around $300 for a shop to replace the fuel pump.

That's with parts. No need to replace the entire module unless you are getting erroneous fuel level readings.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^ Agreed..... just replace the pump, not the whole pump module.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dwk

Member Number: 31863
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2003 Silverfrost SEL Duratec I 2003 Silverfrost SEL Duratec II
Trader Score: 5 reviews
Dwk is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2003 went out this fall. The local ford dealer needed about $550.00 to replace the whole assembly. I would price around a bit with a reputable shop as I think you could find a lot better price and still have a good job done.

It took my son and I about 3 hours to do our self. I replaced the whole assembly and the fuel filter. Total cost was about $215. Filter and pump assembly from Advance Auto.
Dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 7669
Drives: 2001 SES Vulcan OHV (U)
rickpark will become famous soon enough

I just had my pump (pump only, not the sender unit) replaced at a local shop for $350. The breakdown was $200 for the pump and $150 for labor. I think the pump was a bit pricey as they can be gotten for around $100 but the overall cost of the job was reasonable enough and comes with a 1 year warranty.

Worth it not to have to put the car up on stands, wiggle under the car and try to wrangle a bunch of hoses and cables all the while trying not to douse yourself with gasoline.

Pep Boys wanted $550 and the local Ford dealer $700 but they would have likely replaced the entire unit. The local shop actually performed more labor to just replace the pump as they would have had to partially disassemble the sender unit to remove the old part.
rickpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 52114
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2002 Taurus - OHV
Allen0331 is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently replaced mine. I got the whole unit from oreily's for around 220, and the job took about 4 hours. I think it could have been much easier with an empty tank, but if I had been quoted 350 I probably would have just let a shop do it.
Allen0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback!

Yeah, the pump is only 80, and the rest of the assembly is 140 - so about 220 in parts if I wanted to go that route.

Unfortunately I think the gas tank is about 80-90% full.

200-300 in labor is what I'm hearing I think, and seems reasonable. I'll order the part and call around at the smaller shops.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok maybe a little more help - I'm looking at both parts geek and advance auto. I assumed the pump is purchased separate from the rest of the assembly, but on Advance it says the pump is included (for the airtex module assembly).

The assembly is much cheaper on parts geek, but they have no real descriptions there. Is the pump always included with the full assembly?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 20425
qman has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Never used partsgeek but ya, the module is the entire assembly including the pump. At least it should be. I just looked at parts geek and the cheapest module there is $139 and that should include the pump. Call them and make sure but it would be ridiculous if it didn't.

If you can get the pump only do that. The module is nothing more than a pump inside a plastic jar that holds gas to keep the fuel pump cooled. It also has hoses to move gas in and out as well as wires for the electrical to the pump and float. No need to spend another $70 on a plastic jar, two 6 inch pieces of hose, and about 8 feet of wire with a plug on one end.

The pump is the main part that wears out. I guess the float could too but in all my years owning and working on cars I've only had a float stop working once. These parts companies have figured that if they build this complex looking unit, it looke like you're really getting your money's worth. IMO, you're not.

My son and I just did this on his 98. Luckily, he was able to purchase the pump only from rockauto (had to wait 4-5 days) for $24 versus the $150 plus for the entire module. I just looked at rockauto for your 2002 and a pump only kit is $80 (AIRTEX Part # E2314), about the same as parts geek. This kit has a new pump, new screens, and some O-rings, one of which should fit your car. Our kit came with 3 o-rings and none of them fit our car so we just re-used the old one. It wasn't dry or cracked.

Unfortunately, on our 98, there was no way to siphon out the gas through the filler neck so I bet yours is the same. They made the input with a block on the end so a hose will not go down into the gas. You'll have to get the car up on jacks and lower the tank with a floor jack. once you get it out from under the car they you can get the gas out. We have a cheapo little siphoning deal that we used to pull the gas out and into 5 gallong military style gas tanks. Try to empty it completely. It makes working on it and putting it back much, much easier.

Last edited by qman; 01-06-2013 at 12:09 PM.
qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 3934
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2002 SES Vulcan
willyum has a spectacular aura about

The whole thing, pump, gauge sender etc comes as one unit. Take the old one out, put the new one in. I bought a Carter unit at NAPA, various prices below $250, depending upon if you can get some kind of discount.
The tank R & R can be dangerous because the car has to be completely supported high enough to have room to lower the tank. It can easily fall on you because there are a lot of actions to complete disconnecting and reconnecting and re-strapping the tank.
willyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement