Coolant leakage on gen 4 OHV 3L - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 49590
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2000 4 door sedan gen4 3.0L OHV V6 Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
pontiacinf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coolant leakage on gen 4 OHV 3L

3 weeks back I noticed that while in a line waiting for food my heat gauge running high, once I got out of the line and driving it went down, but if I turned a corner it went back up and then down.

I checked coolant level next day and the holding tank was empty, so I filled it to the line and ran it for a day. Gauge problem stopped, but when I checked later the holding tank was empty, so I filled it again, in all it took one whole bottle of mix (50/50) and then maybe one tenth of next once it leveled out in two days. After maybe 5 days I was getting this smell of heated oil and water, so once again look under the hood the tank is now again empty, no evidence of anti showing up in oil or oil cap, but under the holding tank I see wetness where the hose meets tank on under side. HOse goes from tank thru frame to what I assume is the bottom of the radiator.

I think I can take the tank out myself, but im worried if I have to change the hose, it goes thru and outer sleeve thru frame. Is that sleeve stationary to act as a guide or is it just to protect hose during movement? If that sleeve is stationary I should be able to feed the hose down no problem, but do not to find out I am wrong half way thru.

any reply appreciated.
pontiacinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Sounds like you just need a tank. Get the updated tank, as well as the updated cap, from Ford. RockAuto has these cheap if you are not in a rush for the parts.

Hose should be fine.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

You probably won't have to replace the hose. The tank is usually easy to remove, just two bolts. Pull it out and you will probably see cracks on the bottom. Parts stores sell them too, $40 for it when I replaced mine I'm pretty sure.

If the hose is cracked it isn't horrible to replace. Shouldn't be your problem though.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Here's my $.02 on these coolant tanks. Go to AutoZone and by the Dorman coolant tank. AZ offers a lifetime warranty on these things. When the coolant tank cracks again in 1.5-2 years, take it back, get a new tank (for free), do a coolant flush, and be on your way.

It stinks, but these tanks are just prone to cracking, just like the washer hose that goes up under the heat blanket. You can only replace them so much. If AZ is willing to offer lifetime warranties on them, I say pay your $40 and that will be the last time you have to pay for it.
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^ If the car is used for short trips around town and you check the Dorman tank for leaks once a week, I dont see a problem with that. Personally, I HATE random breakdowns, especially since every summer the wife and I take 2 or sometimes 3 2000+ mile road trips. If it were me, I would buy the improved Motorcraft tank and not have to worry about it for several years. Would you buy a "lifetime guarantee" POS AZ starter motor that you had to replace every 6 months when it left you stranded 500 miles from home?
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 3934
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2002 SES Vulcan
willyum has a spectacular aura about

I had similar. Bought the tank only to find after removal of the old one that it was the hose. Now I have an extra tank.
willyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a glorious beacon of lightAutomender12345 is a glorious beacon of light

I bought a Ford tank after reading all the negative reviews of the Dorman tank on the Advanced Auto Parts website. It also had bad reviews about the quality of threads and cap. Bought a Ford cap also.
Automender12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing you must read about some of these warranties. The store may only replace the item once (Limited Lifetime Warranty). AFter that you are on your own...aka buy another.

--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a glorious beacon of lightAutomender12345 is a glorious beacon of light

I had to replace a radiator two times in six months because of leaking trans cooler connections because the would not just replace the fitting. That a long job on a Taurus since they come out the bottom. Finally I when and pulled them from the old Ford radiator. A rad shop told me they always switch them out with ford ones because of all the rework from the aftermarket ones. I also replaced front TRW sway bar links three times on each side that I bought from Advanced Auto Parts. Finally they would not replace them but have me credit to a upgraded MOOG part.

Also spent all day trying to bleed an Autozone PS pump even with a vacuum pump. Took it back bought a Ford and 15 minutes with vacuum it was quite.
Automender12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Those aftermarket fittings do not work.

Luckily Ford still makes the ones for the 1st and 2nd Gens, since they are the only ones that work and don't leak! I went through that Saga last year.

Former...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement