87 Sable wagon rear wiper issues. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 13502
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
timbosho has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default 87 Sable wagon rear wiper issues.

A little background on the issues:

Defroster tab keeps breaking off on the rear window, I've tried everything to get it to stay on, soldering, parts store kits, etc. I finally broke down and got a used glass at a junkyard. I had to destroy the wiper arm to get it off, but saved the motor. The problem is, even before I swapped the motor around, it was pretty slow and didn't have very good contact with the glass. The new wiper arm was bent further down (making even tighter contact with the glass) and the motor couldn't even move the wiper because of the tight contact. I bent the arm out a little bit and the motor turns the wiper very slow.

So, I'm wondering if the motor has just had it? I'd hate to get a new motor and have the same problems, but I'm leaning towards it right now. Is the arm supposed to be bent really tight to the glass? It never made good contact before, and maybe it was bent too far out. The new arm helps the wiper make better contact, but struggles to sweep the whole window without some help. I hate to keep bending the arm (after getting the wrong one twice, and struggling to find one in stock online).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

89 SHO White/Black 3.2.... #256 of 318.... well modded
87 Sable Wagon.... SHO swap, quaife, eibach, tokicos
90 SHO White/Black... track car
04 Malibu Maxx..... wife's
timbosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Since I have an 87 out back, I'll grab a picture and check tomorrow after work. I forget how it looks on the car.

There is a little tang under the wiper like on old Fords from the 60s that holds the wiper to the motor.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 13502
Trader Score: 0 reviews
timbosho has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Geek View Post
Since I have an 87 out back, I'll grab a picture and check tomorrow after work. I forget how it looks on the car.

There is a little tang under the wiper like on old Fords from the 60s that holds the wiper to the motor.
Yeah, there is a tab that you are supposed to be able to move and the arm slides right off. The corrosion that was holding it in did not allow this, that's why I had to destroy it to get it off and get a new arm.

I'll get some pictures of how much bend is in the new arm vs. the old arm, but honestly I think the motor has about had it.

89 SHO White/Black 3.2.... #256 of 318.... well modded
87 Sable Wagon.... SHO swap, quaife, eibach, tokicos
90 SHO White/Black... track car
04 Malibu Maxx..... wife's
timbosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement